• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I got my GPO :) Need some help though...

Share/Bookmark

I got my GPO :) Need some help though...

Hi !

I got my GPO last week and I4m very happy about that [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] But I\'m very busy and it\'s just today that I could really launch it and try to do something.

Reading the doc I see that some string instruments have a function cfor alternating up and down strokes (\"ALT\"). However, looking in the doc from page 21 I can\'t see which instruments features that function. I\'d like to know on which MIDI CC it\'s set in order to use it... Some little help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nino

(ps: I read it\'s impossible to set the pedal mode differently when running more than one instance of Kontakt player, so does that mean I can\'t sustain a piano and use legato strings at the same time??)

Re: I got my GPO :) Need some help though...

The setting of one kontakt instance applies to all. But, you can trick it, by creating another instance of the Kontakt player with a different name - for example, if you\'re using it as a VST, duplicate it, rename the new one xxxxxx2. Now you can have your piano with cc64 as normal sustain pedal, and all the others can have their own setting.

Trond

Ouch! Excellent trick!! Thanks very much Dnortana.

Now if someone can help with the \"Alternate stroke\" thing, I\'d be ultimately pleased [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )

Nino,

The section strings short bow instruments (e.g. Vlns 1 Short Bows) have automatically alternating bow strokes. No controllers needed. The solo strings use the sustain pedal (cc64) for both legato function and alternating bow strokes. If you want a passage to alternated bow strokes just precede each note slightly with a change of sustain pedal. Up, down, up, down, etc. To connect several notes in legato mode just hold the pedal down for the duration.

Tom

Thanks Tom for the precious info !

Now I suppose I can get going with GPO.. Or I have to wait for my favourite sequencer to support multitimbral VSTIs... Or just use Sonar instead for now [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I have a question again :

How many single instances of GPO can I safely launch at the same time ? Could I launch like 10 or 16 ? Is there any risk of unstability doing so ?

(not regarding the RAM question, let\'s say that I have enough for loading the whole orchestra, the problem is I wanna use GPO in a program that doesn\'t support multitimbral VST yet...)

Thanks for helping.

Nino

\" If you want a passage to alternated bow strokes just precede each note slightly with a change of sustain pedal. Up, down, up, down, etc. To connect several notes in legato mode just hold the pedal down for the duration.\"

sorry - I\'m confused. What if I want BOTH alt bow strokes AND legato mode at the same time. Won\'t holding down the pedal continuously for the legato effect prevent the Up/Down activation of the alt bows?

Burt

Burt,

Think in terms of general string player technique. The legato mode is analogous to changing notes while using a single bow stroke (left hand finger position is moving to change notes – the right hand bow stroke is continuous and in the same direction) creating relatively smooth transitions between notes. On the other hand, to differentiate notes in a passage, the player can change bow stroke direction from note to note and, by doing so, start each note “from scratch” creating a slightly different attack sound for the up and down bow strokes. In simulations this is a detail that helps enhance the illusion.

Now, having said that, GPO allows variations within these two categories. You have many possible variations in smoothness available to you in the pedal up mode by adjusting velocity and note overlaps. Lower velocities and greater overlaps tend to increase transition smoothness while higher velocities with little or no overlap increase differentiation. VAR1 and VAR2 can further increase the available variations and virtually eliminate problems with repetitious passages that might otherwise result in the “machine gun” effect. Careful use of portamento on selected notes can also be a powerful tool for adjusting transitions.

Tom

P.S. As I’ve stated elsewhere, the VAR2 in the present version of GPO is not MIDI controllable – to be fixed later by NI.

Hi Tom

thx for the explanation - but I\'m still not sure how I use the sustain pedal to achieve both LEG and ALT simultaneously... or are you saying this is not how a \'real\' violinist would play it and that I shouldn\'t be choosing ALT bow action whilst playing LEG phrases (I\'m not an expert in string playing techniques).

Can I do both LEG + ALT at the same time using the sustain pedal? If so, how?

Burt

You wouldn\'t do both techniques at the same time. Legato playing is done with one bow stroke as you go from note to note. Alternating bow strokes would be up and down bow strokes going from note to note. Two different ways of playing so it\'s impossible for a string player to do both at the same time.

Go Back to forum