• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New! - GPO MIDI File Translator

Share/Bookmark

New! - GPO MIDI File Translator

Some GPO Users have been downloading Standard MIDI files on the internet for use with GPO. To assist is converting these files for use with GPO, we will soon be offering a MIDI File Translator - free (of course) to GPO users.

The Garritan Personal Orchestra MIDI File Translator is a utility that you can use to translate any standard MIDI file to a new file that is optimized for playback with GPO. Standard MIDI files use note-on velocities (how hard you press a key on a keyboard) to determine volume at any point in a track, whereas GPO uses Mod Wheel to determine the volume. The MIDI File Translator translates the note-on velocities into Mod Wheel events that GPO can understand. If you download a file, always run it through the translator before playing it back with GPO. After you translate a standard MIDI file into a GPO optimized file, your playback of that midi sequence with GPO will be improved immensely!

There are many great resource on the web for downloadable MIDI files. Perhaps some of you know some good resources. I hope such a utility will be of value to GPO users. When this Translator is available we will let you know.

Gary Garritan

Disclaimer: \"Translator\" is a trademark of Rubber Chicken Software. We are deliberately using it in violation of applicable sample law and to annoy Garth. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: New! - GPO MIDI File Translator

Sounds cool Gary.

Hope Garth isn\'t too mad! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Gary is the man! You know, I really don\'t mind being a GPO boy.

this is a great idea!

back to the final fantasy midi archives i go...

Very excellent!

This will be very cool for working in Sibelius. I\'ll be able to take a standard Sibelius score, export to MIDI, translate it, open it in the sequencer and have it play the intended dynamics in GPO.

Nice.

Real-time translation would be even cooler, but this will be great in the meantime, and it will be useful as a proof of concept.

Velocity to mod-wheel is definitely the place to start. I can think of two other translations that would also be helpful.

The first would be to combine velocity and cc#11 (some people use CC#7) to create the mod-wheel curve. For those of use that have been using velocity and expression, this would really nail it.

The second would be to translate some other control value into velocity, so we could use a controller for attack.

Still, the initial concept of velocity to mod-wheel will be very useful for most standard MIDI files.

Best of luck with the release of the GPO Chicken-free translator. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hey 13,
    I redid The Prelude (FF3), The Wanderer of Time (FF3), The Aria (FF3), The Welcoming Ceremony (FF7), and the Waltz for the Moon (FF8) with Garritan. I think they sound amazing. Let me know if you want to hear any of them. I\'d post them here, but I fear the copyright cops!

No, we at Chicken Systems/Rubber Chicken Software don\'t mind at all. You go, Gary!

Speaking of Translator, looks like this is a good time to announce our new product, the Garth Personal Translator.

Powered by the Kontrakt Player, this spiffy little plugin works with any DAW and enables you to convert any file, sound, or food group WITHIN your DAW and prints the output onto the included Underture notation software.

Everything about the Garth Personal Translator will be extremely personal. When the software comes up, your signature will be on the starting splash screen. The interface will be customized to look - just like you (inter-face - get it?). And, for the ultimate in personal software, you will even write 100% of the underlying code, using the special Garth Personal Code Compiler.

As a special offer, the first 100 purchasers will be flown out, all-expenses paid, to an undisclosed seashore, where Jeremy Soule will personally hand you your autographed copy - yes, in his bare feet.

Coming soon! =)

Oh... my... god...! This sounds amazing! What an offer! \"Undisclosed seashore\"?? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I\'m starting to sweat. Must.... buy... GPT.... Must... buy... GPT... *crawls over to his wallet*

thanks a lot!
    Very cool!!
    Michael

Originally posted by chickensys:
    No, we at Chicken Systems/Rubber Chicken Software don\'t mind at all. You go, Gary!

Speaking of Translator, looks like this is a good time to announce our new product, the Garth Personal Translator.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks Garth!

Garth Personal Translator sounds like a winner

And the Rubber Chicken GPT CD.

Go Back to forum