• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Memory usage and GPO

Share/Bookmark

Memory usage and GPO

I am new to GPO, but do allready have GOS and VSL.
    I do use GPO on a Pentium 4/ 2000Mgh /1GB RAM. After loading 5 instances of GPO-Kontakt in Cubase with 5 different multis - by far not a full modern orchestra - my computer does give the message that memory is getting tight. The task manager says that about 100 mb are still free. is this normal? I thought I would be able to load about the whole GPO in 1 Gga RAM? If I put more RAM will this resolve the problem and will my CPU be able to managage it.

Re: Memory usage and GPO

Since the libaryfiles together uses 1.81Gb on my harddrive, i would say it is impossible to fit all into 1Gb of ram. And so it is in reality too.

I use one solo and one overlay for each of the brass-sections. And it works ok for me.

What instruments are in the multis?

I normally like to add just the instruments I need as it saves memory. Also, use instruments that share wave pools in the same instance (ensemble instruments built from solo instruments). How much memory is Cubase using before you load any instances and instruments in? I\'ve had 8 instances with them loaded inside of Sonar. Sonar may be more memory efficient.

I remember reading in the marketing materials that you can load *the* entire orchestra into a 1 GB computer. I think the correct wording would have been that you can load *an* entire orchestra. Maybe when DFD is working we can load *the* entire orchestra in our 1GB machines.

I\'m not complaining. I read about what to expect on NS well before I purchased.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JonFairhurst:
    [QB] I remember reading in the marketing materials that you can load *the* entire orchestra into a 1 GB computer. I think the correct wording would have been that you can load *an* entire orchestra. Maybe when DFD is working we can load *the* entire orchestra in our 1GB machines.

I agree - it\'s slightly misleading especially for those of us with Mac Panther, since Panther itself takes up over 400megs leaving much less for the orchestra if you have only 1 GB total RAM on your system...

Best -
    - robjohn

Thanks Haydn!

Here is a memory chart which I made just for experimenting. I real work I also do, as you, load only the patches I do need.

Pentium 4 /2 Ghz- Total memory 1024 DDR 266

After booting up windows XP: 784
    After opening Cubase 735
    After loading large french Horn section 627
    After loading large trp + trb section 562
    After loading woodwind quintet 499
    After loading percussion section 366
    After loading VL. + Vlas section 112

Total 5 instances of GPO-Kontakt.

This is not enough for my purposes. On a Mac G4 with 1.5 Gb RAM it is even worst and very unstable.

I am wondering what the solution is? Getting more RAM, or even a more powerfull PC with more RAM, or purchasing the full Kontakt version running on a separate machine? I did write to Native Instruments in order to know about upgrading = No answer.

Thanks

Thanks again Haydn,

I have actually my system already configured exactly as you do advice. The machine is only used as DAW and I have no idea why RAM consumation is so high. But I also must say that my other PC witch is running XP and (only) Gigastudio, is optimized the way Tascam was suggesting, and this machin also eats up 200 Mb of RAM before starting anything but XP. So maybe your machine is on a diet :-)

Anyhow I do not like to bother about RAM each time I load a patch, so I want to find a solution to this. I did download FX teleport in order to try to run GPO on a slave computer, but my first try did not work.

Thanks

Igor,

Make sure you print out the FXTeleport documentation and go over it step by step. I\'m using FXTeleport and it is working great. I setup one machine to use legato mode and the other for sustain type patches. I now have 3 GB to use between the 2 machines!

Igor,

Your OS seems to be eating up a large amount of memory compared to mine. Before loading your sequencer your already using more than twice the memory that I am. Make sure you\'re not running any non-essential software. I run my system clean without any virus scanners, firewalls or other apps running. Right click on My Computer and select Properties. Go to the Advanced Tab and select Settings button in the Performance section. I select the option for the Best Performance. This frees up memory and CPU for music although you won\'t have all the fancy Windows XP graphics.

What percussion are you loading? It looks like quite a bit from the memory footprint. You may also want to load smaller brass sections. I really recommend for strings to load the short bows, sustain+short and pizzicatos for a basic template and add from there. Experiment loading different instruments, especially ensemble instruments, and you\'ll be surprised what you can load.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Good advice Haydn, thanks! After 5 minutes of reading the manual everything was fixed and as far as can judge by now, as a newby to this, it really seam to work very well. This FX teleport seam to be a great tool.

Go Back to forum