• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Studio and Cubase SX: How does it work

Share/Bookmark

GPO Studio and Cubase SX: How does it work

Though I read the GPO studio instructions I don´t quite get the concept. How can I combine it with Cubase SX?

Do I have to launch GPO studio, fill the instrument slots with multis or single instruments (btw when loading the templates 1-5 nothing happens?) and then launch Cubase SX? That´s what I did and then I tried to call several instances of GPO expecting them to be filled with my preloaded instruments but this was not the case.

Do I misunderstand the concept? I would highly appreciate if anyone could explain what I´m doing wrong. Thanks very much for your help

Re: GPO Studio and Cubase SX: How does it work

Hi Raindog,
    from what I had discovered since I have installed GPO Studio, it\'s easy to link SX to Studio :
    Once GPO studio is active (has been launched), as soon as you open a project, you will find \"personnalorchestra 1\", \"2\", \"3\", (....up to 8) as an option in the available midi outputs of your SX tracks.
    Then the last and only thing left after having selected of of those \"personnalorchestras\" for your track(s), is to setup the channel on each track, as you would do for any other midi multichannel instrument.
    And if you did load something into the matching player/channel of Studio, you should have some sound !
    I hope it answers your question.
    ------
    What I honestly don\'t understand, is the POINT to use Studio with SX : if you have to launch SX, you are probably better off IMO using the vst instances of GPO !
    As far as my understanding goes, the real point of GPO Studio is more in using GPO with a dedicated notation software,like the bundled Overture.
    ------
    Now, I myself have a basic question for anybody willing to help :
    I\'ve been using SX for a while, but never had to care much about modulation data (GPO being the only one of my instruments to make a constant use of it).
    So i\'m annoyed by the mysterious fact that, when I stop playback of a sequence, the volume of the active track suddenly drops down to a low volume value (apparently a fixed one), even if the modwheel is all the way up !
    I suppose it has to do with some settings in SX midi preferences, related to event tracking (reset on stop, this kind of things), but I tried different settings and did not find any cure so far.
    I suppose I\'m not too good at midi, so any suggestions ?

Actually it\'s easy. I will describe it in short, but you might look for the short SX-tutorial that was posted a fews days ago (maybe it slipped to page 2 or 3).

Basically, you launch SX and create a midi track. Then open the VST-Instrument rack and load an instance of GPO. In GPO load a patch into slot 1. Close the GPO window and look at the midi track properties. Set input to none and output to your GPO instance. Set the channel to the number of the slot of your instrument in GPO.

Enter a few notes in the midi track. Set the Modwheel values to full, so you\'ll be able to hear something. Voilà! It should work.

When you start adding more instruments, don\'t forget to set the outputs in every GPO instance correctely. They all default to 1/2. If you dont want your GPO instance to play all instruments on the same mixer channel, you\'ve got to change that.

However, take a look at the tutorial. It\'s well written and there are some pictures, pointing you in the right direction.

Originally posted by sirbellog:
    Hi Raindog,
    What I honestly don\'t understand, is the POINT to use Studio with SX : if you have to launch SX, you are probably better off IMO using the vst instances of GPO !
    As far as my understanding goes, the real point of GPO Studio is more in using GPO with a dedicated notation software,like the bundled Overture.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks very much for your help. Makes things much clearer. I think instead of creating a GPO studio template it would make more sense to create a Cubase project with all GPO instances having preloaded the instruments I normally use.

Regarding you MW problem......it has something to do with the reset of all controlers after you stop Cubase. I know where to stop this behavbiour in Cubase VST but I don´t know where it is hidden in Cubase SX. You should look for \"reset controllers on stop\" somewhere in the preferences. Sorry that I couldn´t help more.

A couple of us (thank you, Joseph) have discovered a very good reason to use Studio with our sequencer. It\'s possible to use Studio for sustain pedal samples AND use VST instances for legato pedal mode (or vice versa). Using them together gets around the limitations of NI\'s player.

Check out this thread:

http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=001121

Go Back to forum