• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Please Listen to my Demos

Share/Bookmark

Please Listen to my Demos

Hi Everyone. I would really appreciate some feedback on my demos. I will be buying GPO soon but for now, these were made with a Roland XP-30, EMU Virtuoso, and Halion with Symphony of voices. Falcon1 gave me the web space. Thanks Falcon.

This is an edit: The Links are at Jkerr\'s reply down below. He fixed them for me. Thanks Jonathan.

Eric

Re: Please Listen to my Demos

Links are right below here on the next reply.

Hey Eric,

This will help ya out.

Link to Eric\'s 3 Songs

PS. This link is to Eric\'s songs - not mine.

Thanks so much Jonathan. Everyone on this forum has been so helpful. It is all much appreciated. So how about some feedback? Please?

Eric

Hi...

I like the way you write and orchestrate..

\"A boy takes flight\" has some serious quantize problems...it sounds allmost like the \"shuffle\" is turned on..also the track is a bit too long for what it is..

The mix and dynamics are good, and sounds good overall, considering what you used..

Do yourself a favour, and if you can save up for VSL or QLSO..you will benefit greatly from it..
    [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

ALex

Hi eaglehvac, here\'s my humble opinion:

A boy takes flight

I can certainly imagine this music in a film, it\'s very good for that purpose. But
    because I come from the classical sector I would like to hear more variant in the
    harmony. Anyway you got a very nice theme and the structure is in place, only part
    I don\'t like as much is the ending.

D Theme

You manage to set the mood right from the beginning and you held it together nicely.
    In my opinion, it\'s the best piece of the three. However, the snare drum was little
    too strong in the end.

Friends drive home

It\'s a very good piece, however, I would like to hear more interesting harmony
    progressions - but like I said above, it could be because of my background.

I can imagine all of the pieces used in some film, it\'s very good for that purpose.

Well done and keep up the good work!

Anybody else? I\'m really fishing here but I want to get a good concensus here of what I can do to make it better. Thanks for the help.

Eric

Originally posted by eaglehvac:
    Hi Everyone. I would really appreciate some feedback on my demos. I will be buying GPO soon but for now, these were made with a Roland XP-30, EMU Virtuoso, and Halion with Symphony of voices. Falcon1 gave me the web space. Thanks Falcon.Eric
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I think these pieces are pretty, and (with a little re-working) would work well in a film.

My suggestions:

(1) All 3 pieces are a little long-winded in my opinion. I would shorten them, and in addition to that I would make judicious use of key changes/modulations and dynamics.

(2) In \"A Boy Takes Flight,\" the drum pattern is too repetitive and machine-sounding. Try to visualize what a live percussionist would do, if possible.

(3) The types of chord progressions you are using tend to be overused in film music (this is just my observation). If I were you, I would expand my vocabulary of chords and harmonies.

(4) \"Friends Drive Home\" starts out very nicely, but then it becomes somewhat repetitive (see my point #1 above). I would add a key change - or maybe an octave change - and in addition I would give the piece more room to breathe by adding pauses and silences at opportune moments. I also feel that the pedaling should be redone in spots.

Hope this helps.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. I think I know what you mean by the quantize thing. The beat is a bit wierd. I suck at programming rythms and a closed hi hat got shoved over or something in there. On \"A Hero Falls\" my wife said to me \"You really need to calm down the snare at the end of that\". I guess she\'s right again. I was just so excited to get the initial midi mixdown that I almost didnt care and wanted to hear it all with a bit of sheen on it if you know what I mean. I will definitley work on these things. If maybe you could be a little more specific about the quantize problem you are hearing I would really appreciate it. Thanks guys.

Eric W

I like \'em, Eric. Nice songs.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast