• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Instrument range limitations

Share/Bookmark

Instrument range limitations

I\'ve noticed that some of the GPO instruments have limited ranges - particularly the cello, double bass, and bassoon. Was there a reason for this?

Re: Instrument range limitations

afaik that\'s the physcial range of those instruments...

Actually, a number of the instruments fall short of their real life physical range.

Originally posted by hazardman:
    afaik that\'s the physcial range of those instruments...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'ll have to look at it again when I go home tonight. From what I remember, GPO\'s bassoon only goes up to G3, and the cello only goes to F4.

In solo work (and even in ensembles for music written during and after the Romantic period), cellos and bassoons play much higher than that.

If you need a higher basoon, use bassoon2. It goes up to E4, which is about as high as you can expect anyone to play in real life, and is covering me ok for the intro to Le Sacre that I\'m working on. It does start sounding more like a flute once you get to the C, though.

I noticed limited ranges, myself. I was under the impression that a piccolo could physically play up to a C8. And - I believe this has been brought up before - that the Contrabass Clarinet is actually a Contralto Clarinet. The Contrabass can physically play down to a Bb0 (just below C1). If there were an update I would love those range extensions included. And while I\'m wishing, I would also love a bassoon with vibrato.

The cello range is good on the solo instrument, trills, and trems, but for some reason the lush patches truncate the top M5. Much worse is the alto flute, which is missing an entire octave off the top register.

Richard Strauss might also quibble about adding a few notes to the top and bottom of the horns, but I\'m not sure I\'d ever use it. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Much worse is the alto flute, which is missing an entire octave off the top register.

To be fair if , you where writing in that registra you would be using a C flute.

ed

All these discussions might possibly support what Nick Phoenix said of his library in Jan KEYBOARD mag.

He suggested his library offered extended ranges on many instruments and sections, as opposed to most libraries previous. At the time I thought it was just marketing hype, but now I wonder...(Nick did address this claim on the GPO forum on another thread)

I would like to see the bassoons get the full range treatment they deserve in GPO (and YES! vibrato too please!). So many libraries are based on mid 19th century orchestration and so don\'t feel the need to include the extreme ranges, particularily the bassoons and horns.

I would like to see a true Contrabass Clarinet sampled. I suspect many others on this forum would like to explore the extreme ranges of their instuments in GPO. I personnally like to write the cellos up high in their top range for an emotive effect.

I know Gary must be busy after NAMM, but I think (in spite of what has been said on another thread here) rather than include new instruments, perhaps we should first be asking him to give us more range in what we already have.

I love GPO and am in no way trying to find fault. I just have been working with it now for a few weeks and am wanting to realize some compositional aspirations that may not be realized until some updates in the instruments come forth.

Lastly, there IS a reason for composing for an instrument in it\'s extreme range, even when orchestration sense says use another instrument:
    Emotion and/or Drama. It is not unreasonable or incorrect orchestration knowledege to want to compose this way.

Lastly, there IS a reason for composing for an instrument in it\'s extreme range, even when orchestration sense says use another instrument:
    Emotion and/or Drama. It is not unreasonable or incorrect orchestration knowledege to want to compose this way.

Absolutley. The opening to the \"rite of spring\" is a famous example. However certain instruments in a full orchestral setting will get lost if they are not in their best ranges. But still it is nice to have all the playable notes at your finger tips.

ed

Go Back to forum