• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Performance ?

Share/Bookmark

GPO Performance ?

Hi everybody,
    Could anyone tell me what kind of performance I might expect to get out of GPO running on the same PC as my Cubase SX. The PC is a Dell Dimension P4 with 1 gig ram and 7200 RPM 120 Gig HD. I\'d also like to know about running it on my Dell Inspiron with 512 MB ram, P4, 5400 RPM I think. If it was on the Inspiron, I would have it run from FX Teleport linked to my main pc. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks,

Eric w

Re: GPO Performance ?

You don\'t mention the speed of your CPU which really is the determining factor. I can get about 200 stereo voices with a P4 2.4 GHz machine. You should be able to load a modern symphony orchestra into 1 GB of memory.

My 2.6 Pentium 4 with 1 gig of ram will run 3 instances of GPO with 50% CPU usage at its peak, not sure of how many voices. Your soundcard will play a determining factor in how well your computer handles the plugin. I had to pull my soundblaster it just couldn\'t handle it with the drivers it has. It would hit so many vioces and just crap out. Can\'t wait for my Audiophile to show up.

Forgot to mention that I regularly run 8 instances of Kontakt, GPO in the Kontakt Player and QLSO Silver in the Kompakt player without any problems.

Haydn, It\'s a 2.6 GHrtz

The Dimension should run very well. It ought to be more than adequate for GPO. The Inspiron would do better with more RAM, though you may be at your limit with 512 (due to Inspiron max RAM, but you\'d have to check your particular model). Again, for the Insprion, the CPU will also determine your performance. I am running a much slower Inspiron than you I\'m sure (at 900 Mhz with 320 MB RAM) and it does the basics fine, but 512MB would be much better for me and 1GB ideal (though impossible on my machine). My CPU is vastly underpowered but nevertheless capable of running two or three instruments at a time without any problems at all, which is all I really do (for my testing purposes). I haven\'t tried to find how many instruments it could handle, but I don\'t imagine it would be able to do very many.

I think if you have a 2 Ghz or faster machine, it should be fine. You may start to lose the ability to run huge orchestrations with anything slower. As you get slower and slower in CPU power, there is less you will be able to run at the same time. Anything less than 1 Ghz (like me) and you will be very limited.

Go Back to forum