• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Solo violins dont match rest of GPO?

Share/Bookmark

Solo violins dont match rest of GPO?

Is it just me or do the solo string demos posted in the Garritan website sound toyish to every one? Far from sounding like a Gagliano or Stradavari these samples dont even sound like violins!!! The stradavari sounds like a really bad cello sample. The Gagliani sounds like a bad violin for some pitches while sounds like a bad cello for other !!! I even have some free violin soundfonts that sound better.

The solo string demo should rather be removed as they stand in sharp contrast to the rest of GPO and Gary\'s standards....I dont mean that they will deter anyone from buying. It is understood that solo violins are under development. but I\'d rather wait than here samples like these.

cheers

Re: Solo violins dont match rest of GPO?

This may sound like heresy but i recently had a track going and when the time came for solo vio I naturally went to KH. Afterward just for sh*ts and giggles, I copied the track over to gpo\'s solo strad and was pleasantly surprised. In the end I used both. Playing off each other and then in tandem. Worked nice in my opinion.

cb

Originally posted by tremolo:
    Is it just me or do the solo string demos posted in the Garritan website sound toyish to every one? Far from sounding like a Gagliano or Stradavari these samples dont even sound like violins!!! The stradavari sounds like a really bad cello sample. The Gagliani sounds like a bad violin for some pitches while sounds like a bad cello for other !!! I even have some free violin soundfonts that sound better.

The solo string demo should rather be removed as they stand in sharp contrast to the rest of GPO and Gary\'s standards....I dont mean that they will deter anyone from buying. It is understood that solo violins are under development. but I\'d rather wait than here samples like these.

cheers
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Where is this solo demo, which one? I can\'t find what you are talking about.

Originally posted by yannitch:
    Where is this solo demo, which one? I can\'t find what you are talking about.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Try http://www.garritan.com/audition and check out the solo violin demo there.

Originally posted by tremolo:
    Is it just me or do the solo string demos posted in the Garritan website sound toyish to every one?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It\'s just you. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I think the demo referred to is this http://www.garritan.com/mp3/PaganiniCapriccio-Stradivari.mp3
    It\'s far from toyish, but it does sound a bit like the player had perhaps one too many. MIDI controllers Var, Vel and portamento are applied in a slightly unatural way. But the solo strings in GPO are pretty good - listen to the third violin example in GPO Audition for a different passage if this one does not convince you.
    I have both KH solo strings and GPO and although the solo strings in GPO don\'t have as much variation as KH solo strings, they do sound very good with a different character that I also like.

Wirebird

We have a different approach to demos. Some developers offer only super-polished demos that have been made in-house or by professionals and then tweaked and processed.

Although it is easy to hire professionals to provide well-polished demos, such examples could be misleading. Instead, we thought it would be best to show the libraries in real world use. The vast majority of our demos are submitted by actual users. This shows all aspects of the library in a variety of musical styles and settings. There\'s so much flexibility with GPO that I wanted to show it all, but some seem to want perfection all the time - and this is not what music is about.

The Capriccio was submitted by Matteo Bosi to show how each violin sounds different. No other library offers three solo violins - let alone a Stradivari, a Guarneri and a Gagliano. Matteo made a good contribution.

Tremolo, your criticisms were duly noted and those demos have been removed from the demo page. I\'ll pass along your critique to Matteo and ask him to revisit the demos.

I realize you cannot please all the people all the time. I feel badly when users share their demos out of the goodness of their heart. When demos are unduly criticized contributors feel badly about leaving a bad impression of GPO.

Do you all think that we should offer \"perfect\" polished demos that would knock everyone\'s socks off? Or should we continue with the policy of posting as many demos as possible from users?

What do the rest of you think about demos. Should we only put our best foot forward? Or do we show it all? Let me know what your thoughts are.

Gary

I actually liked the solo examples that were up. There were a couple of imperfect moments, but those were brief, and the overall impression was very good in my opinion.

Originally posted by Garritan:
    Do you all think that we should offer \"perfect\" polished demos that would knock everyone\'s socks off? Or should we continue with the policy of posting as many demos as possible from users?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I think the user demo contributions are great, and apart from GPO itself this open attitude was one of the reasons why I bought GPO. Composing classical music or anything that is written for an orchestra is far from easy, but the friendly community approach that surrounds GPO on your website and on the forum is very inspiring and IMHO something a lot better and greater than just \"serving up polished demos to market a product.\"

The violin demo discussed here is not bad, it just needs slightly less aggressive use of controllers. I don\'t think it should be removed - it\'s a user demo, not a polished professional demo. It\'s nice to be able to hear what users can accomplish because they are probably closer to my own range of skills. Having all these demos available is like saying: \"You can do good and you can do great with this instrument, it\'s up to you, not the limitations of the instrument.\"

Wirebird

Gary

I believe that demos of users are critical, and that it gives users pride in their work, that they have composed with GPO.

You have already proved GPO is phenominal in sound, with in house demos. I wish to see your site grow with more user demos.

The Solo Demos were fine.

What you could do is have the best of both worlds, by having a headline \"GPO USER DEMOS\" or still have the demos you have it right now in context, and just write \"GPO USER\" next to their piece.

Something to that effect. it is importatn to do this, as many students, and musicians already know that sometimes DEMOS are made by in house professionals, but what if they could hear good user demos. This makes us realize that composing and orchestrating with GPO is user friendly and very possible to pull off.

Thats just my point of view

Dave

Gary I also emailed you with some questions since your private message is full.

Dave

Go Back to forum