• Register
  • Help

Topic: Keyswitch patches in GPO?

Share/Bookmark

Keyswitch patches in GPO?

A couple of questions pertaining to keyswitch patches in GPO:

First, can you make your own keyswitch patches? As cool as the performance variations are, I can see the need for custom keypatched combos. Am I to presume that you would need the full version of Kontact to do that?

Second, I read here that the KS patches have been \"reduced\" somehow. Again I presume because of space/memory considerations? If so then how many folks are using KS patches in their arrangements as opposed to separate midi tracks for a given articulation?

I apologize if my questions expose the rookie in me. Be gentle, I\'m a drummer! [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Keyswitch patches in GPO?

Don\'t worry Mark. I\'m a drummer too and I also am in the back of the class with my hand up! Oh well!

Jonny

Hi Mark,

There are not many KS patches in the GPO. In fact, the only one I can remember right at this moment is the Harpsichord. Anyway, GPO has been designed in that way that you really don\'t need key switching, because you don\'t have many articulations for each instrument. Instead of providing a set of articulations, with GPO you have the flexibility to use a single patch successfuly in a wide variety of contexts.

In a typical arrangement you will be using several tracks per string section (pizz & leg, e.g.), and probably only one for each of the rest of the instruments. No matter of staccato, legato or whatever.

Of course if you want to KS, you can allways have access to the programing with the full version of Kontakt.

Mark,

“First, can you make your own keyswitch patches? As cool as the performance variations are, I can see the need for custom keypatched combos. Am I to presume that you would need the full version of Kontact to do that?”

You can (but with limitations that I’ll explain in a minute) and yes, you need the full version of Kontakt to do so.

“Second, I read here that the KS patches have been \"reduced\" somehow. Again I presume because of space/memory considerations?”

No, it is not because of space/memory considerations and this brings us to the limitations I mentioned above. Kontakt has enormous programming capabilities but there are still some things that can’t be accomplished in the present version. One of those involves switching options. Switching options between layers (groups) are mutually exclusive in Kontakt. You can only have a single type of switching active in a given instrument. So, if you want an instrument to be keyswitched you cannot also use MIDI controller switching, round robin switching, or random switching between layers. Because of this the section string keyswitched instruments (pizz, tremolos, and trills) had to forego the legato mode in the tremolos and trills, which is a MIDI controller switching feature in the separate versions. In the case of tremolos and trills the legato mode can be dispensed with, while maintaining reasonable usability, but the same is not true of most other instruments.

The user who decides to construct some custom keyswitched instruments will be up against the same restriction and it will apply to virtually all string, woodwind, and brass instruments. By adding the keyswitched feature you will be forced to give up legato mode switching which eliminates legato in section strings, alternate bowing in solo strings, and tongue/slur switching in woodwinds and brass - a high price to pay for keyswitching and one I’ve tried to minimize by choosing to use keyswitches very sparingly.

Nevertheless, if the user decides that keyswitches are worth the sacrifice they can certainly be constructed in the full version of Kontakt and saved for personal use.

Tom

Gotcha!

That explains it. My guitarist in our rock band who also just got GPO had posed the question to me on how to go from one playing style to the next (pizz to short bow to legato) seamlessly as a continuous performance rather than the obvious (now after your explanation) answer of dividing styles between tracks. Correct me if I\'m wrong here.

Looks like we both have a way to go in terms of arranging orchestration in a midi sense. Seems we think too linearly. He really didn\'t like the idea of putting one style of a string section down then going back like an overdub to do the next style. But hey that\'s what we do with his guitar when we track in the studio, he only slaps all the clean, crunch and lead parts together continuously when we perform live. I guess it\'s all about being able to hear in your head where you want it to go before you ever commit it to tape (so to speak).

I really would love to see some of these fantastic demos I hear as midi files. I can pick up more from 2 minutes looking at one of them than from a month of reading. I\'m definitely an \"ear\" player. Can\'t wait.

Great stuff, thanks again.

Originally posted by Tom Hopkins:
    Nevertheless, if the user decides that keyswitches are worth the sacrifice they can certainly be constructed in the full version of Kontakt and saved for personal use.

Tom
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">If i get this correctly, the cello program with keyswitches (tremolo, half- and wholenote-thrills and pizzicato) cannot include long+short bows, because then the sustainpedal doing legato wouldnt work?

Correct.

Tom

Go Back to forum