• Register
  • Help

Topic: Little exercise with GPO Steinway Grand

Share/Bookmark

Little exercise with GPO Steinway Grand

Hi,

When I ordered GPO I was a bit concerned about the sound of the piano. I supose the demos I heard didn\'t show the kind of playing technique I was looking for, and I thought the piano was engineered to fit with the orchestra.

Now I\'ve received the GPO and played with it for a few days, I must say I was completely wrong. The Steinway Grand sounds GREAT. (As well as the rest of the library [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ).

This is a little exercise I did to test the piano with a classical more intimate sound, which I didn\'t find in the demos.

Chopin - Nocturne in Cm - Excerpt

Re: Little exercise with GPO Steinway Grand

Hi Anton ,

I tried the link but it said the limit was exceeded already .

\"Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable!
    The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. Visit our help area for more information.\"

I will try again latter [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Antón,

You have a nice touch and I like the selection. If you don\'t mind I would like to post this on the demo page.

Thanks for posting this.

Gary Garritan

Hi Gary,

thanks for the kind words. Please feel free to use this excerpt in your site, I would very much liked to if you did. If you have any problem to download the file from geocities, tell me and I will send it to you by e-mail.

Please forgive me for using the free geocities service for file sharing.

Regards,

Antón

Beautiful playing, Anton. I find that I keep returning to the GPO piano. I\'ve got several other good ones, but this one has just the right feel when playing. The sound intensity is nicely graded with few bumps or terraces. Also there is a nice bright ring when playing into the very top of the range that allows one to be very expressive. To my ear it also sounds very convincing. A typical giveaway with some pianos is the stepping between samples at different velocities. One can often hear certain samples kicking in for different parts of a song. I don\'t really notice the lack of pedal up/down sampling, pedal noise or release samples in the GPO piano that much, and I don\'t think these elements are as critical to performing music.

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

I completely agree with you. I don\'t kwnow how Tom managed to obtain such a smooth transition between layers, but it is incredible how consistent it is through the entire range.

One of the things I like the most in this piano is that you can hear the strings ringing when played long, and I think this is the reason why you don\'t miss the pedal-down samples. The piano resonance is really natural when you leave it ringing, and the release time and shape is very accurate as well, which is very important when trying to imitate the pedal clearing.

I don\'t have enough ram on my present PC to load the full piano set, but from this demo and others I believe it to be the best samples piano I\'ve heard yet. I have a very good piano for my Giga that I thought was great until I heard this one.

I believe it is the progamming of GPO that is it\'s strength. I have always thought that if a sampler offered the right programming features and had great filters (like KONTAKT) then one would not really need all those dynamic layers and a much smoother result could be obtained.

That was what was wrong with Gigastudio. it never had a smooth transition between layers unless there were like eight of them and it\'s filters were no good even compared to my old hardware EMU E4 let alone KONTAKT.

Now supposedly there is a fabulous new Giga 3.0.

I bet it still won\'t compare with what Tom programmed into KONTAKT.

humm...i found the piano a little \"muddy\" (perhaps due to compression) however it is very expressive and enjoyable to play with...the velocity switching is very nice (i think there are tow layers but i could be wrong)...also i\'m used to using piano program with 64 voice sound modules so going with the 120 (i think that\'s what is is) that the kontakt player offers really gives that extra \"realism\" to the play...

FYI - there is no compression used on any of the piano waves (or any of the other instruments in the library, for that matter).

Tom

Originally posted by Tom Hopkins:
    FYI - there is no compression used on any of the piano waves (or any of the other instruments in the library, for that matter).

Tom
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">good to know...thanks [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum