• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO wind instrument wish list

Share/Bookmark

GPO wind instrument wish list

Following the Contrabass Clarinet posting, people have been requesting all sorts of unusual wind instruments for the future.

Before any of those, what about a glaring omission which is far from unusual, indeed, bread-and-butter stuff:-

STOPPED HORNS, please! This is NOT the same as muted horns.

Re: GPO wind instrument wish list

Stopped and muted (con sordino) horns are indeed a slightly negelcted item in the sample world. They\'re as much staples of concert and film music as the \"open\" horn sound, although they\'re used more for colour than melody.

Although SAM Horns contains an absolutely perfect stopped horn (ie. hand muted producing a piercingly thin and nasal sound), a regular con sordino horn (muted with a metal stop producing a much fatter but still quite nasal tone) remains a fairly rare sample to my knowledge. Anyone know any?

Don\'t worry. I\'m sure all these bases (including the beloved contrabass clar) will be covered by EVERYONE eventually.

Heath

Yes a true hand-stopped and mute sound PLEASE Gary!! (but wait till the smoke settles after this terrific debut!)

Originally posted by Poolman:
    STOPPED HORNS, please! This is NOT the same as muted horns.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">
    Originally posted by Not Dudley Simpson:
    Stopped and muted (con sordino) horns are indeed a slightly negelcted item in the sample world. They\'re as much staples of concert and film music as the \"open\" horn sound, although they\'re used more for colour than melody.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">We actually did record stopped horns. We had to make a decision where to stop otherwise there would be no end. We only used a small fraction of the recorded material and some instruments and articulations did not make it into the library. We are planning to release add-ons and updates that will provide more colors and tools for the orchestral palette.

Gary Garritan

Does this mean there will be staccatos? I would suggest these artuculations be avalible via key-switch.

P.S.

I got my copy!

That\'s good to hear! I would pre-order for an update right now. I suspected that as with most orchestral libraries much more material was recorded than makes it into a first release.

As for additional instruments, I would imagine that new sessions would have to be scheduled. I\'m in no hurry!

As for \'staccatos\', I think many people are missing the point of GPO programming. I have wished for an orchestral library that had good enough attacks in the samples so clever programming could be applied in a versatile sampler or player. This may not produce hard attacks (which I\'ll admit some types of music demand), but the overall result is nine times out of ten, more musical (and a good bit easier to work with!) and realistic as witnessed in the GPO demos.

Go Back to forum