• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO a defining moment

Share/Bookmark

GPO a defining moment

I have been lurking around this forum for about a month now, ever since my 14 year old son told me he wanted Garritan Personal Orchestra for Christmas. I am impressed with quality and civility of the posts here.
    We received and installed GPO last evening, (I’m not one to make someone wait till Christmas to open a gift like this just so long as it is given in the spirit of Christmas). The install went very well and now I see why all the excitement this product has generated is deserved.
    I am a music hobbyist and have dabbled slightly into midi for the past 2 decades. The promise of midi, to me, has been to have the ability to “play” a virtual instrument using an input device such as a midi enabled instrument or computer generated instrument. Not being able to afford high dollar software and hardware my experience with the promise of midi has come up short, now GPO will change that.
    Congratulations Gary, in my opinion GPO is a defining moment when the promise of midi is not only affordable to the masses but also bundled in a manner that is usable. I’m sure this is a Christmas you will remember often.

Merry Christmas and God bless you all,
    Mike Davis

Re: GPO a defining moment

Congratulations Gary, in my opinion GPO is a defining moment when the promise of midi is not only affordable to the masses but also bundled in a manner that is usable. I’m sure this is a Christmas you will remember often.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">This is a defining moment, indeed! I wish I had GPO when I was 14 years old. This is a great time to be alive, but I\'m glad to say that the \"musical youth\" stand to benefit the most. I remember saying as much when GPO was announced, and I feel the same way after a few weeks (and too few hours) working with it.

Happy Holidays!

Re: GPO a defining moment

I\'ve waited 30 years for a product like this, and for the EW Silver. Low-priced, with great sounds and great control...indeed a GREAT time to be a musician!

I remember being so jazzed about a studio I went to with a friend 30 years ago and they had this big Moog modular thing set up, and we had the feeling that given time, we could do anything with that beast.

I went through all that then, never having the money for such instruments, and then finally being able to afford a Yamaha TX-816 and a Soundcraft mixer and thinking how fabulous it was to finally have an orchestra at my finger tips.

But all that faded fast as the Mirages came out, and then other samplers and my quest began again.

I spent the ninties frantically going over reviews of new orchestral libraries and sampler specs, and going way into debt on this stuff.
    It has seemed all these years that I might not obtain what I was looking for until I was too old to really enjoy it, but now along comes GPO and other new products that make me feel like I can\'t wait to dig in after the holidays!

Go Back to forum