• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Mod wheel fever!

Share/Bookmark

Mod wheel fever!

Hi all!
    First impression: great harp and piano, good strings and woodwinds , correct horns and percussion but overall lots of playability! .

But... one very serious problem (for me) the modwheel bad habit of always resetting itself (faint volume) makes the process of composing a subtle pain. I know i can draw the appropriate controller but its time consuming and you always have to start the playback where you draw them. I dont know if its me but with Logic 6.3.3 everytime i hit the spacebar the damn thing goes back to zero(almost) this is very frustrating specifically when trying out parts and instrumentation. I dont know if its possible but it would be nice if GPO would remember its last volume position .

Thanks for a great product!

Jean-pierre Brie
    http://loreille.com

Re: Mod wheel fever!

Hi Jean-pierre ,

Could this be because you are using the mod wheel
    on the GPO GUI instead of a mod wheel on a keyboard controler ?

I don\'t think anything is recorded from the GUI
    mod wheel .

No, Jean Pierre is correct.
    The engine resets midi to zero on stop and you have to give the modwheel (either one) a jog to get the volume up again. This also holds true for whatever the last setting on the sustain pedal was. My workaround for the moment has been to draw in miles and miles of midi data on each track just so Logic has a node to hit every second or so. This unfortunately does not help when you are step editing I\'ve asked E-Magic about this and they had no answer. Nor did 2 of the top Logic forums. I have heard SX users complain of this as well. I hope fix comes as these workarounds are more than a bit of a pain.

christianb

Does Logic have a\'chase controllers\' setting? I know in SONAR if you set that and plant a cc event on the track it won\'t reset in Kontakt.

Salut Jean-Pierre! Maudit chanceux, you got yours before I did! But... mine is on its way. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Regarding the ModWheel reset, we\'ve been talking about it on the Logic and Absynth forums for a few years now. Unfortunately, Emagic does not think that this is a big enough priority to do something about it. It looks like we\'re going to be having to draw/step-enter ModWheel settings for a while still... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Hey Ned,
    Thanks for posting that info. I had not come across that definitive reply from anyone yet so thought maybe I was overlooking something simple.
    On one level I am glad to find out that \'it is what it is\'...
    ...On another level I am very disappointed to find that \'it is what it is!\'

Just thought of a quick short cut though. Create a blank audio inst object with all the automation info on it and store it on an unused track in your autoload. Drag it to the track being used and merge the two to get the midi info already there as a template.

cb

was my e-mail helpful?

Chase controllers is the cure.
    I\'m positive that Logic has this. All you need do is insert one event in each track for the appropriate controller and on start up the sequencer should look for that data and apply it.
    I still use Cubase \'Classic\' for much of my sequencing and that has a specific reset menu where you can define what gets zero\'d on stop. Mod Wheel ignore is one of those controllers cemented into that pref. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the tip, Canary! I\'ll try that very thing later today.

Canary,
    You have gone half way to giving me a great Christmas present! I had played with the chase event settings before to no avail, but you made me go revisit that pesky little panel and I had a bit of luck this time. Now at least a sequence will play back from the last recorded midi event. If you could figure out how to get the last info to be kept while in stop so you could step edit I will send you an all expense paid vacation for two to beautiful downtown Akron! Thanks for the reminder.

And a Merry Christmas to all!

cb

[QUOTE]

Just thought of a quick short cut though. Create a blank audio inst object with all the automation info on it and store it on an unused track in your autoload. Drag it to the track being used and merge the two to get the midi info already there as a template.

QUOTE]

Just a little more clarification on this process please. I have to keep resetting my volume setting for each GPO instrument bank separately each time I record a new track. HELP!!!

Go Back to forum