• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO first impressions!

Share/Bookmark

GPO first impressions!

just got GPO working on my PC!
    the feeling is VERY good! very simple to use and very high quality, although in some samples you clearly hear the loop. but this is not a prbolem because you can make VERY good ensambles and the functions of \"humanize\" and variations works wonderful... beside this, in a complete mix no one worries about \"hearing the loop in the flute\"! :-)

but i still have some suggestion:

1) an aftertouch control would be very nice, since i have just bought a keyboard with this function!! i suggest that if you use aftertouch you have a slighly (maybe controllable) increase in volume. i found this very useful while playing with samples in my sampler.

2) in my pre-GPO samples, i normally used the modwhell for adding vibrato for extra \"expression\": it would be nice using a new controller (we have plenty of CC left!) for adding a small amount of vibrato to the samples (even to those recorded with vibrato...)

3) perhaps may be useful to create some presets in which you have the ensembles ready to play: i\'m speaking about a kontakt player program in which you have layered the trumpet ens 1,2,3 (just to say) to use in just one slot: this can be useful for a first \"sketch\" of your arrangement, just to have the \"full ensemble sound\". then after you write the part you switch to the three program trumpet ens 1,2,3 in three slots, increase var1 and var2 and you are ready to rock with a very good and real brass section.

4) also a \"full string section\" preset (with a combi violin, viola, celli, bass in a single channel) would be nice, just to write the first sketch of the arrangement as before.

for now this are all my ideas. but since they are mine ideas i find that they are really good (!) and i think that with this improvement GPO would kick *** even more than now! :-)

Re: GPO first impressions!

Bosone,

\"1) an aftertouch control would be very nice, since i have just bought a keyboard with this function!! i suggest that if you use aftertouch you have a slighly (maybe controllable) increase in volume. i found this very useful while playing with samples in my sampler.\"

We experimented with aftertouch during the development phase of GPO but found that most keyboards had insufficient aftertouch resolution to make this controller adequate for our needs so it was rejected in favor of other controllers.

\"2) in my pre-GPO samples, i normally used the modwhell for adding vibrato for extra \"expression\": it would be nice using a new controller (we have plenty of CC left!) for adding a small amount of vibrato to the samples (even to those recorded with vibrato...)\"

A future possibility.

\"3) perhaps may be useful to create some presets in which you have the ensembles ready to play: i\'m speaking about a kontakt player program in which you have layered the trumpet ens 1,2,3 (just to say) to use in just one slot: this can be useful for a first \"sketch\" of your arrangement, just to have the \"full ensemble sound\". then after you write the part you switch to the three program trumpet ens 1,2,3 in three slots, increase var1 and var2 and you are ready to rock with a very good and real brass section.\"

There are already “Multis” which do what you suggest but not in a single slot. They are located below the instruments in the “load” menu. If you have any suggestions for additional combinations of instruments let us know and we may add them later. Groups of instruments can share identical MIDI channels if you wish.

\"4) also a \"full string section\" preset (with a combi violin, viola, celli, bass in a single channel) would be nice, just to write the first sketch of the arrangement as before.\"

An actual “full string section” patch is a possibility later but you can approximate this now by loading violins, violas, cellos, and basses while, again, assigning them all to the same MIDI channel for each instrument (just click on the MIDI channel and make a selection). You would, of course, want to combine only like articulations on the same channel. This can also be done with solo or ensemble string patches so long as you carefully follow the note explained in the manual on p.38.

Please send any further suggestions directly to us at gary@harps.com (that way we can\'t miss them).

Tom

Hi Tom,
    From one Hopkins to another [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    I was wondering if I am missing something when it comes to creating my own readily loadable multis. Isn\'t there a way to make your own and save them, rather than loading each instrument one by one every time? In fact, shouldn\'t there be a way to open a bunch of Kontakt instances with your own miltis in one click from previously saved setups. That way you could create your own \"full orchestra\" and just open it in one double-click. I have been spending lots of time just opening instruments.

this is true also for me!

We’ll check with NI on saving Multis at the player but I’m pretty sure that anyone loading GPO into Kontakt 1.5 would be able to save custom Multis. However, I’d like to suggest a better way to accomplish this: Build your own custom templates in the sequencer of your choice. By building templates as song files in your sequencer you can not only configure your choices of instruments but also custom panning, relative instrument levels, aux send-returns with your favorite reverb plugins/settings, track organization and labeling, EQ and compression, whatever – in effect, everything preconfigured for a given ensemble grouping and basic mix. The GPO Multis can speed the construction process a bit for some of these (e.g. string quartet, piano trio, various chamber ensembles, etc.) If the song templates are carefully constructed all you would need to do to get started on a project would be to load the appropriate template song file, click on the instrument track you wanted to use first, and hit “record.” All instruments would be loaded into their correct slots, ready to go. Any template could be modified for a specific project much faster than building one from scratch. Be sure to save your new project under a new name so that the template remains untouched. A little advance planning will give you templates that use your resources efficiently and give you the instrument choices that best suit your personal requirements.

Tom

I have sonar 3.0 and I do exactly what Tom has suggested. It works great. On the other hand - is there a bug with the Multis - cuz I can\'t load them at all. Loading a multi freezes sonar. As I said - this is not a big deal to me, but just thought I would mention...

Go Back to forum