• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: More GPO Classical Music Posted

Share/Bookmark

More GPO Classical Music Posted

Mozart Clarinet Concerto
    Performed by Duncan Brinsmead, Short Excerpt, (2.8 MB), K. 622 (1791)

The Concerto for Clarinet and Orchestra, by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, is one of the best concertos ever written for the clarinet. Some claim that it is one of the best concertos for any wind instrument. Above is a short excerpt and here is the full 7 minute version (10.9 MB).

Personal Orchestra Instrumentation: 2 Flutes, 2 Clarinets, 2 Bassoons, 4 Horns, First Violins Section (sustains & shortbows), Second Violin Section (sustains & shortbows), Solo Stradivari Violin, Solo Gagliano Violin, Viola Section (sustains & shortbows), Solo Cello 1, Solo Cello 2 , Cello Section (pizzicato, sustains & shortbows), Solo Double Bass, Double Basses (pizzicato, sustains &

Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy - Excerpt from the Nutcracker, 2.6MB

Tchaikovsky was the first to use a celeste in a major wok in the \"Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy\" from the Nutcraker Ballet. Tchaikovsky was captivated by its `divinely beautiful tone\' and few composers have been able to capture the magic achieved by this composer. The delicate sound of the celeste in Personal Orchestra is a celeste made by Mustel. This demo was sequenced and mixed with Cakewalk Sonar.

Personal Orchestra Instrumentation: 3 flutes, 2 oboes, English horn, 2 clarinets, bass clarinet, 2 bassoons, 4 horns, 2 trumpets, 2 trombones, bass trombone, tuba, cymbals, triangle, tambourine, glockenspiel, tympani, harp, celesta, and strings.

Organ Symphony - Composed by Camille Saint-Saëns and performed by Duncan Brinsmead - Excerpt, 3MB,

The Organ Symphony is scored for a large orchestra and concert pipe organ and also includes contrabassoon and four piano hands. A great chord on the organ heralds the start of the piece followed by the main theme played first by the strings and tinkling piano before the organ takes over with brass and timpani.

Personal Orchestra Instrumentation: Concert Pipe Organ, Concert Grand Piano (Duo 1 & Duo 2), 3 Flutes, 2 Oboes, English Horn, 2 Clarinets,Bass Clarinet, 2 Bassoons, Contrabassoon, 4 Horns, 3 Trumpets, 2 Trombones, Bass Trombone, Tuba, Timpani, Bass Drum, Cymbals, Solo Violin, First Violins Section (sustains & shortbows), Second Violins (sustains & shortbows), Solo Stradivari Violin, Solo Gagliano Violin, Viola Section (sustains & shortbows), Solo Cello, Cello Section (sustains & shortbows), Solo Double Bass, Double Basses (sustains & shortbows).

More classical demos will be posted soon.

Gary Garritan

Re: More GPO Classical Music Posted

Link for full version of Clarinet Concerto above seems broke...

this

...appears to be the correct link.

Pax.

Originally posted by Dr. Apostrophe X:
    Link for full version of Clarinet Concerto above seems broke...

this

...appears to be the correct link.

Pax.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks for bringing this to my attention. The link is now fixed.l

Gary

Ironically (since Gary just now corrected the link to the full version here)... the Clarinet Concerto excerpt works here, but is broken both times it\'s referenced on the official site.

I\'m sure that\'ll be fixed by the time anyone reads this, but I just enjoyed the timing. I\'ve been in similar situations, and this is the point where I\'d usually stop pulling my hair out and start laughing.

I liked the Sugar Plum Fairy the best. The celeste is really very nice and the whole ensemble blended really nicely although I found the mix a tad woolly. The woodwind in particular were very sensitively handled and had a great deal of character.

The Organ in the Symphony is really weighty and effective but I found the performance rather dragging. I was suprised how well the strings wedded with the organ although I found the brass rather false.

Whatever, its the first set of demos for this library that have impressed me and I think for its price that this is one hell of a library. I think I might buy it for my laptop.

Great work with the Mozart concerto Dunking. What a wonderful \'tune\'! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Just one of several dozen favourites of mine. I have to say that your skills and standards are very high indeed.

Who programmed the \'Dance of the Sugar Plug Fairy\'?

Hmmmmm. ....All these secret composers Eh!

Frank

Well, once again Duncan Brinsmead brought tears of sweet joy to my eyes, this time with his performance of the slow movement from Mozart\'s Clarinet Concerto. The solo part, especially starting from 2:25++, was exquisitely performed with feeling, grace, sensitivity. I could scarcely believe my ears - was this really just a sample-based computer player played back from the keyboard (with a breath-controller, I believe)?

Well, I hope developers listen to what Duncan wrote about earlier - focus more on creating instruments and less on creating huge libraries of articulations. GPO seems to have taken the first step in this direction, because in Duncan\'s hands, GPO seems to be an extraordinarily expressive instrument.

Duncan, please share with us some of your extraordinary technique: what loop-back device did you use?, how easy is it to switch back and forth between legato and non-legato (really so very effective in the solo clarinet line)?, how did you execute the fast notes?, the trills? (also incredible realistic and unbelievable), how did you create a swell at the end of a note but while still avoiding that sucking sound when the next note plays?, in general, how do you \"play\" these parts to avoid this note-to-note sucking sound?, how do you create the smooth swells in the strings (for example around 3:18)?, ...

I am sure I would have a lot more specific questions if I would listen to it again. But I wanted to write while my eyes were dry ...

Thank you Duncan!

YBaCuO

\"...rather dragging. I was suprised how well the strings wedded with the organ although I found the brass rather false...\"

This is probably because we are used to hearing bloated large brass unisons in other sample libraries, like the one from East-West, though they can work well in a late romantic era piece like the Organ Symphony. For very large scale \'Wagnerian\' works, I will probably use my SAM brass which I now run under Kontakt. I also like the brass in the Edirol HQ Orchestra for some things, especially modern \'filmscore\' type works. But GPO has it for \'classical\' works like the Beethoven and Duncan\'s Mozart demos, and that clarinet soloing...Well done Duncan!!

Many were done with standalone sequencers. The package does include Cubasis for sequencing which will get you start. There is also Overture SE which is a notation program.

I see, I\'ll be getting Logic 6 on my MAC G5. I hope these two (GOP and Logic) work out good together! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

J

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast