• Register
  • Help

Topic: Using Overture with GPO

Share/Bookmark

Using Overture with GPO

Ok, I have a few questions about Overture SE that came with GPO...I never worked with MIDI before so please bear with me.

1. I don\'t see how to get the dynamics and tempo markings that I place in the traditional score to get applied to the MIDI file. I have to go into the graphics window and adjust velocity by hand, and set tempo events in the Cubase master track...I\'d\'ve guessed there\'d be a way to have it go automatically from the score markings??? (I\'m using the mouse to enter notes, I don\'t have a keyboard controller)

2. What is the purpose of the \"GPO\" menu on the Overture taskbar? It has commands like \"load soundset\" and \"edit soundset\". They don\'t appear to DO anything, what am I missing? I certainly don\'t hear GPO sounds when Overture plays (although I see how to get it to play the Roland or Yamaha midi sounds)

3. IS it possible to hear GPO sounds directly from Overture? Or is that only possible from the VST sequencer?

thanks. Sorry, complete newbie to sequencers, MIDI, and VST...
    Bob

Re: Using Overture with GPO

Anyone? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    (I see my question #3 has already been answered...but what about 1 and 2?)

Originally posted by rds:
    Ok, I have a few questions about Overture SE that came with GPO...I never worked with MIDI before so please bear with me.

1. I don\'t see how to get the dynamics and tempo markings that I place in the traditional score to get applied to the MIDI file. I have to go into the graphics window and adjust velocity by hand, and set tempo events in the Cubase master track...I\'d\'ve guessed there\'d be a way to have it go automatically from the score markings??? (I\'m using the mouse to enter notes, I don\'t have a keyboard controller)

2. What is the purpose of the \"GPO\" menu on the Overture taskbar? It has commands like \"load soundset\" and \"edit soundset\". They don\'t appear to DO anything, what am I missing? I certainly don\'t hear GPO sounds when Overture plays (although I see how to get it to play the Roland or Yamaha midi sounds)

3. IS it possible to hear GPO sounds directly from Overture? Or is that only possible from the VST sequencer?

thanks. Sorry, complete newbie to sequencers, MIDI, and VST...
    Bob
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Bob,

I don\'t have GPO yet (waiting for delivery) so my
    answers here are based on assumption as I have
    never seen Overture .

My answer to #1 is that the \"dynamics and tempo markings\" etc that you can enter are purely there
    for constructing a printable score and will have
    no effect on GPO sound playback at all.

This also applies to the sore editors in high
    end sequencers like Cubase , logic , nuendo etc

My answer to #2 , I am baffled as to what that
    menu maybe , but I think you can only load
    and edit the GPO soundset on Kontakt.

To be honest I think the only real reason Overture was included in this package is to
    provide a decent score printing application
    to make up for the lack of score editing in
    Cubasis .

You are incorrect! Overture DOES playback crescendos and dynamics! Double click a hairpin or dynamic and you can change the controller/envelope.

Oh and it plays back tempo markings too!

Soon, Overture will be preferred by many for GPO users. You will see...

OK, thanks, I see how to get it to play back dynamics and tempo markings now, but that\'s just *playback*...how do I get it to EXPORT the effects of those markings in the MIDI file without having to redo it all by hand in the graphics window???
    [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

rds,

I may be able to answer your question 2.
    When you have used Kontakt a bit, you can save your own presets. I think it may be these the menu is referring to.

Go Back to forum