• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO chromatically sampled?

Share/Bookmark

GPO chromatically sampled?

This question has been asked several times, but I haven\'t seen a clear answer. Does anyone know which instruments are chromatically sampled? Someone mentioned that the ensemble-building ones are not. That\'s fine, but what about the solo and section instruments?

Re: GPO chromatically sampled?

Thanks, that\'s good to know. I don\'t have AO, but I know that all of its instruments are sampled in minor thirds or worse. This aspect really hurts the AO work I have heard. The Miroslav Vitous libraries had the same problem and IMHO they sound fake as well. The chromatic sampling adds so much to the realism of GPO.

The majority of the instruments are chromatically sampled including the solo and section strings.

I can\'t give you a definitive answer since I didn\'t program GPO and it would take a while for me to go through all the programs. I scanned the programs to confirm a general answer, which is:
    o Solo patches appear to be all chromatically sampled. This applies to solo strings, brass, woodwinds. On certain notes, a chromatic sample is sometimes skipped (for a semitone stretch) if it improves the sound.
    o The piano is chromatically sampled. Some organ patches are chromatic (others use semitone skips).
    o Ensemble builder patches, as you noted, are not chromatic. They generally are sampled in minor thirds.
    o There are other patches, chromatic and non-chromatic that I\'m not listing because I didn\'t scan them [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] For non-chromatic instruments, I believe they are all either semitone skips or minor third samples, though there will no doubt be certain notes that go wider in spots to smooth out the sound or extend the range.

\"..Thanks, that\'s good to know. I don\'t have AO, but I know that all of its instruments are sampled in minor thirds or worse. This aspect really hurts the AO work I have heard. The Miroslav Vitous libraries had the same problem and IMHO they sound fake as well. The chromatic sampling adds so much to the realism of GPO...\"

I wouldn\'t exactly say the Vitous sounds \'fake\'. Listen to the scores for the old \"Hercules\" t.v. show (not a big fan of the music or the show, but the orchestral simulations were notable) and some others from that era that were done almost entriely with the Vitous, I think you might be surprised. The bassoon unisons especially were great in the Vitous, and some of the strings were good if you played with them a little. I just think what Gary has done here (and Nick at EW) is to greatly surpass eveything that came before, a benefit of modern samplers and computers and at a mere FRACTION of the Vitous which was always way overpriced!

Go Back to forum