• Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Topic: User demo posted

Share/Bookmark

Re: User demo posted

What kind of system are you using? I\'ve never had problems with clicks or pops when beta testing the library. When I push about 200 voices the timing starts getting messed up but still no pops.

The auto-alternating articulations are the short bows. Play the same note over and over and you\'ll hear the differences between notes.

I have a 2.4 GHz P4 Compaq Presario running WinXP Pro and Cubase SX 1.06; 1GB RAM, 80GB C:drive, 80GB external Firewire drive which holds the samples (could that be a bottleneck? I was taught to run programs on drive C and audio files from a different disk). My sound card is a Tascam US-224 using the 24-bit ASIO driver. The sync isn\'t perfect but the latency is close enough. I haven\'t touched the Virtual Memory settings and both drives are defragged. With everything loaded, the cubase.exe process was using a full 2/3 of that G of RAM. I have only 2 instruments loaded for each section/MIDI channel plus an extra one for string KS on an additional Kontakt player instance totalling 7 VST instruments. Ambience reverb is a single master effects send. Where do you think the problem is?

Can you PLEASE re-post this demo at 192 kbps mp3? 96 kbps is really too bad and distorted. At first I thought the low tremolo strings were really crappy, until I heard it was probably an mp3 anomaly.
    No offense to tabtech and Gary, but I still think that good old AO can sound as least as good as this.
    Since Beethoven\'s 5th demo was posted I that know GPO can probably sound a lot better that AO, but I am still not convinced by any of the user demos.
    For this price, however, I still might even buy GPO just for the harps or the organ.

>> \"Can you PLEASE re-post this demo at 192 kbps mp3? 96 kbps is really too bad and distorted.\"

Peter, you make a good point. I thought that the overall sound sagged under its own weight, but I couldn\'t put my finger on it. It just sounds kind of dead.

I don\'t think the problem I\'m hearing is due to the performance. Possibly a poor mix, but only if some plugins were abused. Yep. I bet the MP3 encoder is causing artifacts at that bitrate. This demo just doesn\'t have the same \"snap\" as the demos on Garritan\'s site.

Just now I listened to this on my cheap soundcard & headphones at work. It sounds much better here than on my studio monitors and pro headphones! The cheap stuff doesn\'t really reveal the mp3 flaws, does it?

Regarding the musical performance though, I\'d say that this is the best GPO user demo I\'ve heard so far. Congratulations on your effort.

Originally posted by PeterRoos:
    No offense to tabtech and Gary, but I still think that good old AO can sound as least as good as this.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You\'re kidding, right? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

OK then - I guess we\'ll need to get someone with AO to render this score... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Houston Haynes:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by PeterRoos:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You\'re kidding, right? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

OK then - I guess we\'ll need to get someone with AO to render this score... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I got someone to do that with my score,

The links:

GPO:
    http://www.alanjoseph.com/OktoberGPOex.mp3

AO:
    http://www.alanjoseph.com/AlanLastufkaOctober_AO.mp3

AL

Tabtech,

I\'m not quite sure where you\'re having the problems with the popping. It could be buffer settings for your sound card or an IRQ conflict. I\'m using Sonar and up to 8 instances of the player or the player and Kontakt with up to 50 instruments loaded with 200 MB free usually in a 1 GB machine. I also have a P4 2.4 GHz machine.

How many watts is the power supply in your computer. Compaq has a tendency to put underpowered supplies in many of their systems. I work in a development lab in which we use computers from various manufacturers. I\'ve had a couple Compaq\'s that couldn\'t even power a 2nd hard drive as the power supplies were only 135 watts. I\'ve also replaced a few power supplies in Compaqs.

BTW, the Beethoven\'s 5th only used just over 512 MB of memory. There were 4 instances loaded with about 30 instruments.

PeterRoos said:
    \"No offense to tabtech and Gary, but I still think that good old AO can sound as least as good as this.\"

I believe you really are serious, aren\'t you? Do you mostly compose at slow tempo? Do you detest any attack in the brasses? Do those eight celli in AO really sound like eight celli to you or could maybe they sound like a cheap GM box?

The point is, AO is not even as good at times as the dreadful EMU Virtuoso 2000 I sweated reprogramming for over a year, to no avail. You know, my dissapointment over AO is what prompted me to through away $1000.00 for the EMU box. I have been looking for such an \"orchestra-in-a-box\"
    sketchpad for over a decade now. I believe GPO (and a new fast PC) just may be it. Might just be the best thousand bucks I ever spent!

Originally posted by Haydn:

...the problems with the popping. It could be buffer settings for your sound card or an IRQ conflict.
    ...How many watts is the power supply in your computer. Compaq has a tendency to put underpowered supplies in many of their systems....
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The buffer settings have been a hit and miss proposition. I will experiment with the settings again.

I would even try switching the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) from ACPI-PC to Standard PC unless there\'s a chance that will make things worse. ACPI assigns all devices to a single IRQ which tends to cause problems with audio. Does anyone know a clean method for doing this?

I would have to shut down and open up my PC to tell you how many watts the power supply is. What should it not be less than?

Unless you\'re running multiple processors or are overclocking like a mad scientist, 350W is a good baseline.

If you want to upgrade, here\'s a great supply. It\'s within a few dB of the quietest supplies available, which is my top criteria. Tom\'s Hardware tested it and found it puts out way more juice than its minimum specs on all of the voltage lines. And it\'s relatively cheap :-)

http://store.yahoo.com/directron/fsp35060bn.html

Go Back to forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast