• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: GPO versus Edirol Orchestral

Share/Bookmark

GPO versus Edirol Orchestral

Which sounds better and is more playable, Edirol Orchestral or GPO?

Okay, it might sound silly....let me rephraze: GPO sounds better than Edirol, but how much better? Is it like a different league?

thanks

Re: GPO versus Edirol Orchestral

Like the Sunday Pub\'s matches and Championships League football [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

I don\'t have GPO but I\'ve heard the demos. I do have Edirol. I think GPO wins out. Edirol is a great sounding synth, but GPO has more articulations, and the fact that the sounds are sampled, you don\'t get that predictable vibrato that\'s basically an LFO (it\'s very noticable with the winds in Edirol). I\'ve been very impressed with Edirol, but I\'m afraid it\'s time has passed [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Go listen to the Edirol demos and compare them to the GPO demos on Gary\'s website.

I did, and Edirol sounds to me like a guy with a synth. Don\'t get me wrong -- it sounds good for what it is. But it ain\'t GPO.

and the fact that the sounds are sampled, you don\'t get that predictable vibrato that\'s basically an LFO
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">From what I hear, GPO is sampled vibrato. (I have a copy) But many of the samples are looped quite vigorously. So don\'t get the impression that not using LFO is going to solve all problems. I\'m not trying to sound sour, but to be honest to prospective buyers.

One thing I do like about the Edirol Orchestral is the interface. Lets you see a lot as you work.

How is GPO in terms of loading up several instruments at once and being able to both see everything that\'s loaded and zoom in to edit individual instruments? (I\'ve never worked with Kompakt.)

Originally posted by Jake Johnson:
    How is GPO in terms of loading up several instruments at once and being able to both see everything that\'s loaded and zoom in to edit individual instruments? (I\'ve never worked with Kompakt.)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No zooming, what happens is, the names of the instruments that are loaded is listed along the top, as you click on each instrument the entire interface\'s knobs turn to the position they are set for that instrument. You then make your adjustments, click on the next instrument, all the knobs turn for that one, the next, etc.

Very easy and fast, just make sure you click on the instrument you want before cranking all those knobs...

AL

\"How is GPO in terms of loading up several instruments at once and being able to both see everything that\'s loaded and zoom in to edit individual instruments? \"

I don\'t know Jake as I am still waiting for
    delivery of my copy , but here is a peek @ the GUI for you [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] (from NI\'s web site)

Originally posted by kensuguro:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">
    and the fact that the sounds are sampled, you don\'t get that predictable vibrato that\'s basically an LFO
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">From what I hear, GPO is sampled vibrato. (I have a copy) But many of the samples are looped quite vigorously. So don\'t get the impression that not using LFO is going to solve all problems. I\'m not trying to sound sour, but to be honest to prospective buyers. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks for the info [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

How\'s GPO with CPU Hogging? I love Edirol cause I can have all 16 tracks going and still run my Gigamachine to Cubase machine transfers without having to mute anything.

I\'ve run up to 8 instances and was getting up 200 stereo voices with about 50 parts going on P4 2.4 GHz machine. Quite efficient!

Go Back to forum