• Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Topic: Quick & Dirty GPO Demo

Share/Bookmark

Re: Quick & Dirty GPO Demo

Originally posted by agarner32:
    I also heard the \"accordian-like\" sound. Actually, it kinda sounds like a bandoneon. It\'s after the clarinet solo I think.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You\'re right. I listened to the original version again and heard it a bit as well -- right at the end when the flute cuts out and the clarinet/brass play the last notes in unison. Probably not a good choice.

The new version fixes that.

The accordian sound is caused by the NV Flute coming in over the clarinet. Using the Flute with vibrato or an oboe will fix that.

Hmmm, I didn\'t get it with the flute/clarinet, but the clarinet/brass. I\'ll try a little vibrato, though and see what happens...

There are obviously things I need to learn about orchestration. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It\'s usually not natural for a flute to play with no vibrato. The composer will normally notate for no vibrato if that\'s what is wished for. Most of the woodwinds have various degrees of vibrato depending on the instrument. For example the oboes go from almost no vibrato to a pretty heavy one that works great for solo passages. You should be to pretty much eliminate the accordian/organ sound with careful choosing of instrument types. Once you figure out what each instrument does, then its quite quick to work with them. I found that it was a good idea to spend a day just playing with the woodwind instruments to find there strengths and weaknesses. Working on pieces went much quicker after that.

Go Back to forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123