• Register
  • Help

Topic: what are the controls of GPO?

Share/Bookmark

what are the controls of GPO?

since gary does not update the site (well, it\'s busy in sending away all the GPO packages!!), can someone tell me exactly what are the realtime CC that GPO recognizes and what is theys function?

next, how good is the \"ensemble maker\" function?
    and the harp glissando package??

finally... how does the \"forte overlay\" works??
    thanks!

Re: what are the controls of GPO?

Here\'s a rundown on some of the controllers. I\'m at work so I\'m not sure what the CC #\'s are as NI changed some on the final version:

Velocity - controls volume and timbre for instruments such percussion, harp, celeste, short bow strings plus the attack on most other instruments.

CC1 - Volume and timbre

CC20 - Portamento

CC64 - Sustain pedal or legato mode (depending on how it\'s setup and the instrument).

The above are the basics. There is a controller for intonation which varies the tuning - this works great for double tonguing in the brass. Also another controller for timbre control. There is some instrument specific controllers which are listed in the manual. Again, I\'m at work so I don\'t have the specifics on all.

The ensemble maker works great especially in the woodwinds. This took a paradigm shift to use at first and other beta testers were a little confused as to its usage because they were so used to use ensemble patches with 3 or 4 instruments in them. I like how you can just play the individual parts as you would if you were playing in an orchestra. I used to have separate tracks in my sequencer for the ensemble patches for unison areas. This cut out some extra tracks. This feature also works great for notation packages.

The harps are excellent in the library. 2 different harps including harmonics for each. The glissando package just inserts info into the sequencer to setup the pedals for the tuning on the harp. Then you can do the glissandos on just the white keys.

The forte layers are for beefing up the brass parts. I usually just use another track to add the layer when I need it.

Hi Haydn. You have a great understanding of the library. Have you used Overture?

I\'d be interested to know if/how one would notate a unison of all 3 (or 2) ensemble instruments in a notation program.

Is it simple to notate \"a2\", \"a3\" or divided chords on the same staff and have GPO play it accurately, ie. 3 samples on a3, 2 on a2, and one on each chord tone?

That\'s great. I have used overture for most of my sequencing so it looks like GPO fits right in to my mindset. I ordered it before Thanksgiving, so I hope it comes soon.

One more question though...
    Are you limited to 16 individual voices, since compact has only 16 channels, or can you do the above example on one channel.

If it is limited to 16 independant samples, then you wouldn\'t be able to do the whole orchestra that way.

That\'s great. I have used overture for most of my sequencing so it looks like GPO fits right in to my mindset. I ordered it before Thanksgiving, so I hope it comes soon.

Are you limited to 16 individual voices, since Kontact player has only 16 channels, or can you do the above example on one channel.

If it is limited to 16 independant samples, then you wouldn\'t be able to do the whole orchestra that way.

Sorry, tried to change a few words after I posted and doubled it. Read the bottom one...

question: In the Kontakt Player, can you assign more than one instrument to be triggered by the same channel? In other words, could I load 4 horns in the first 4 slots and assign them all to channel 1? Working from a notation program like Overture, Finale, or Sibelius, I wouldn\'t want to have to create 4 staves or 4 voices/layers per staff, each on a different channel, to achieve the section effect. I\'d want to be able to take care of all the mapping in the Kontakt Player interface rather than by creating additional notes.

PatS

Originally posted by Jesse Hopkins:
    Are you limited to 16 individual voices, since Kontact player has only 16 channels, or can you do the above example on one channel.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The number of available MIDI channels will be 8 times the number of Kontakt Player instances you can load on your system (each Kontakt Player can load a maximum of 8 instruments, not 16). To load more than one instance of Kontakt Player outside a VST-compatible sequencer (e.g., Cubase and Sonar 3), you\'ll need to use a program such as Bidule with the Maple Virtual MIDI Cable. Load the GPO VST instances in Bidule, and use the Virtual MIDI Cable to connect Bidule to Overture or any other MIDI application (the Maple driver creates four MIDI ports).

Pat

PatS

Originally posted by astrt4:
    question: In the Kontakt Player, can you assign more than one instrument to be triggered by the same channel? In other words, could I load 4 horns in the first 4 slots and assign them all to channel 1? Working from a notation program like Overture, Finale, or Sibelius, I wouldn\'t want to have to create 4 staves or 4 voices/layers per staff, each on a different channel, to achieve the section effect. I\'d want to be able to take care of all the mapping in the Kontakt Player interface rather than by creating additional notes.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes. You can assign the 8 instruments to any MIDI channel (1-16), even the same channel. When auditioning the layered effect of the ENS instruments, I assign all of them to channel 1. Bear in mind that Kontakt Player automatically increments the channel number for each subsequent instrument slot, so you\'ll have to click on the channel number for each instrument (except for the one in the first slot) and then select 1 from the pop-up menu.

Pat

PatS

Jesse:

Overture SE, like the full version, allows you to enter up to 8 voices on a single staff. You can assign each of those voices to a separate MIDI channel and patch within the Track List.

For fun, let\'s set up French Horn I and French Horn II. Load the Full Orchestra template. Within the Track List window (Window --> Tracks Window), click on the triangle next to the French Horns track number (first column) to expand the voice list. Select the desired channel and patch for each voice (e.g., channel 1 for French Horn 1 Ens1 and channel 2 for French Horn 1 Ens2). You can specify whether the note stems for each voice are always up, always down or up and down depending on staff position. For unison playing, some composers prefer to use up stems for the upper voice and down stems for the lower voice, instead of using only one stem per note and writing a2 above the staff. It\'s your choice. For this little exercise, each \"layered\" note will have only a single stem, so leave the stem direction for each voice set to up and down.

Now back in the score window, click on the French Horns staff, and select 1 from the “Voice:” pop-up menu at the bottom of the score window. Enter the notes for Horn I. Next, select 2 from the “Voice:” menu; notice that the notes for Voice 1 are grayed out. Enter the same notes for Horn II. If for some reason the stems do not line up with those of Horn I (they should), drag select the notes, and press Ctrl-F (same as selecting Notes --> Flip --> Direction). Lastly, click on the Text button (between the Dynamics and Expression buttons), place your cursor above the first note of the unison line, and enter a2. Click outside the text box when finished, and then click the arrow button so that you can reposition the text as you see fit.

Pat

Go Back to forum