• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: INTERVIEW WITH JOHN M. KEANE

Share/Bookmark

INTERVIEW WITH JOHN M. KEANE

<font size=\"4\">We are pleased to announce our next guest in the series of Garritan Orchestra &quot;Meet the Artist&quot; Interviews featuring:

JOHN KEANE</font>

</div>

<font size=\"3\">We are pleased to present this interview with composer John Keane and is an honor to have John as our featured guest.
    </font>

John M. Keane is the composer for the current most-watched TV series: \"C.S.I.: Crime Scene Investigation\" on CBS. In each episode, John\'s music adds a crucial element to the story that keeps viewers involved and in the moment. His music is always there to punctuate the point. Subtle yet effective, composers are often the unsung heroes of many films and television projects.

John Keane has been in the music business since he was only 11 years old when he and his brother, performed as the Keane Brothers. After being one of the youngest performers ever to appear on the Tonight Show, they landed a network television show shortly after the release of their debut record. The Keane Brothers went on to release four albums, the first of which was produced by David Foster. In addition, they had their own prime-time variety series. John also has he worked as a session drummer for a number of great producers, and can be heard on records from Chicago, Celine Dion, Michael Bolton and others. John also wrote the theme and the thematic material to the Reality hit \"Amazing Race\".

Here is a short clip of John\'s music from CSI: http://www.garritan.com/mp3/CSI.mp3
    John\'s website is at: http://www.jmkeane.com

It is indeed an honor and a privilege to have John Keane as our guest. We are now inviting questions for John from forum members. If you have any questions you would like to ask John about his work with CSI or other shows, projects he is working on, how he scores, the music business, or have any other questions; now is your opportunity to ask him. At the end of the questioning period, your questions will be presented to John and we will then post his response in interview form. I wish to thank Scott Cairns who will be assisting in this interview.

Please post your questions below or email them to me.

Thank you for your participation.
    Let the questions begin!

Gary Garritan

Re: INTERVIEW WITH JOHN M. KEANE

Well as someone who doesn\'t have much experience wich electronic music I was wondering what kind of approach you take when dealing with synthesis and beats. That is to say, how do you take a can of paint full of more or less every colour and then come out with distinct shades in the end?

Thanks in advance.

Hello...

First, nice work with the show, until about three months ago when I entered the sampling world, the music on the show seemed transparent to me, like when special FX are done well, you don\'t even notice them, I guess this means you did really a really good job. However, lately I\'ve forced myself to pay attention and after seeing you on Garritan\'s site, I\'ve listened closely, and am still very impressed...

Do you compose your music to finished video with the scene\'s pace and editing and dialogue already in place? or do you compose to a particular \'mood\' of a scene and let the editors handle where it falls?

Do you hear the music already finished in your head or do you begin with a simple melody and build upon that?

As most others are asking, what is your normal work week, how long do you have to complete each episode\'s work?

Thanks,
    AL

\"...well, you don\'t even notice them, I guess this means you did really a really good job. very impressed...\"

Sorry, but I\'ve always thought that that kind of statement was insulting to film composers. The great composer Bernard Herrmann once said that \"music is the connecting link between the audience and the images on the screen\". You can bet that his scores were never \'unnoticable\'. I hear people say all the time that \"it must be a great score because I didn\'t hear it in the film\". That is not the purpose of music in film.
    But, I would be interested to hear Mr. Keane\'s thoughts on this aspect of music scoring today.

\"That is not the purpose of music in film.\"

That\'s a rash thing to say [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] It surely can be if that\'s what the filmaker wants. I know many times it is.

I meant no disrespect, I just felt that it didn\'t seemed forced or obtuse, it DID connect me to what was on screen unconsciencly... which is what I meant, a transparent effect, like, as I mentioned before, when special FX are done well, it doesn\'t mean you don\'t see them/appritiate them, it simply means they don\'t stand out as being distracting. Same with Mr. Keane\'s score for CSI...

AL

Sadly, what a filmaker wants is now paramount (no pun intended!)and film composers have almost been reduced to the level of janitors. Gone are the days when directors and producers frequently abdicated to the musical and dramatic sense of the composers they hired. They would often err on the side of good taste, wanting to conceal any musical ignorance they had. So today, unless one has the clout (and oscars!) of someone like John Willams, then they are often forced to compose with music that must fade into the backround, so the beloved (and WAY too loud) sound effects (man those guys LOVE their noises!!!)will not be overshadowed. Of course, good film music doesn\'t step on the dialog. I\'ll end my comments here with a short quote from Herrmann: During the scoring sessions for \"Day the Earth Stood Still\", Herrmann caught one of the trombone players smirking during the recording of an important cue. The orchestra wasn\'t giving it much, so Herrmann barked \"This isn\'t linoleum here!!\" No decent film music should ever be reduced to that(flooring).

We will be wrapping up the questions for John Keane within the week. If you have any questions you would like to ask John, now is your chance to ask.

Gary Garritan

The question period is now ended. I will be sending your questions to John for his responses. Thanks you all for participating in this interview.

Gary Garritan

Originally posted by Shazbot:
    Dang. I\'ve just started getting into watching C.S.I. the last few months, and now I wish I\'d have asked a few questions myself. Anyway, I look forward to reading his response.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Shazbot,

John has been very busy and is still working on the interview. Perhaps we can slip in another question.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum