• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: So GPO on which Mac OS?

Share/Bookmark

Re: So GPO on which Mac OS?

Originally posted by JohnnyP:
    I am a Mac logic guy with Giga on a seperate PC. I currently use MAC OS 9.2 and haven\'t upgraded to OSX yet because I have ALOT to upgrade.
    I\'ve notice on the threads for GPO that most people say the player is 1.5 for OSX.
    I did call Mr. Garritan and he said, \'yup. I guess NI will make the player OSX.\'
    But here\'s my confusion, the GPO site says VST. So I guess that\'s for the PC computers running VST?
    Also, I thought that EWQLSO is running kompakt 1.5 AND that is for MAC OS 9.2 on up. So how is it that EAST West has kompakt on OS 9.2 but GPO is OSX?
    I\'m not trying to start a debate, but am researching to make my purchase and having to spend more on upgrades is something I have to financially consider.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">One would almost think that the Mac world is currently in a state of chaotic \'OS transition turmoil\', wouldn\'t one [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I can\'t speak to what East West is claiming or offering, but I hope I can clear up a little of the confusion regarding GPO.

The player for Personal Orchestra is developed by NI based on the Kontakt 1.5 engine. With GPO, you get all the available versions of the player, which will work on PC (standalone, DXi, VST ..) or on the Mac. Initially, the Kontakt player is provided for OSX only, in standalone, and plugin formats AU and VST ..). There are VST\'s for OSX, I know, I have tested the Kontakt player as a VST in an OSX sequencer/DAW.

NI states on their website that Kontakt 1.5 will eventually be brought to OS9, but I don\'t know the schedule or other details. It is my assumption - note, unconfirmed assumption - that NI\'s Kontakt Player for GPO will also then be made usable on OS9. I\'ll need to check the details on this.

In the meantime, since you are, for good reason, reluctant to switch to OSX at this time - but you have a Giga PC - you could stay with OS9 on the mac for as long as you like, and use GPO on your Giga PC just like you now run Gigastudio. I have tried this and it works great. The Kontakt family of app\'s seem to run more efficiently on PC anyway.

Hope this helps.

Trond

Now I\'m really confused. I thought EWQLSO (Silver, Gold Platinum) used the same Kompakt player as GPO. But someone posted that EWQLSO did not work quite right yet with OS-X, but should soon. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

And what about Panther? Surely the developers have taken the time to try their products on various platforms. Why no official answers?

[/QB][/QUOTE]Initially, the Kontakt player is provided for OSX only, in standalone, and plugin formats AU and VST ..). There are VST\'s for OSX, I know, I have tested the Kontakt player as a VST in an OSX sequencer/DAW[/QB][/QUOTE]
    I want to be specific. My confusion is jargon. You say VST in an OSX Sequencer. Well in OSX;VST is and Audio Unit. The GPO site, and you are saying VST which leads one to say MAC OS9.
    Could you mention which DAW app you were using an clarify Mac OS?

[/quote]

In the meantime, since you are, for good reason, reluctant to switch to OSX at this time - but you have a Giga PC - you could stay with OS9 on the mac for as long as you like, and use GPO on your Giga PC just like you now run Gigastudio. I have tried this and it works great. The Kontakt family of app\'s seem to run more efficiently on PC anyway.

Trond [/QB][/QUOTE]
    Thats a thought. So as a \'stand alone\' on my PC, I can program specific MIDI channels and audio routings from my Mac Sequencer? I have to ask this becuase I don\'t use to many VSTs as stand alones.

Originally posted by Tarkio Road:
    Now I\'m really confused. I thought EWQLSO (Silver, Gold Platinum) used the same Kompakt player as GPO. But someone posted that EWQLSO did not work quite right yet with OS-X, but should soon.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Exactly, I posted my question post above at the QLSO forum and somne chimed in saying they had the silver edition kompakt 1.5 on Mac OS9.2.
    But there must be something different with the GPO and Kompakt player because it doesn\'t seem to be compatible with OS9 now.
    I\'m glad I am not the only one confused.

So GPO on which Mac OS?

I am a Mac logic guy with Giga on a seperate PC. I currently use MAC OS 9.2 and haven\'t upgraded to OSX yet because I have ALOT to upgrade.
    I\'ve notice on the threads for GPO that most people say the player is 1.5 for OSX.
    I did call Mr. Garritan and he said, \'yup. I guess NI will make the player OSX.\'
    But here\'s my confusion, the GPO site says VST. So I guess that\'s for the PC computers running VST?
    Also, I thought that EWQLSO is running kompakt 1.5 AND that is for MAC OS 9.2 on up. So how is it that EAST West has kompakt on OS 9.2 but GPO is OSX?
    I\'m not trying to start a debate, but am researching to make my purchase and having to spend more on upgrades is something I have to financially consider.

GPO uses the NI Kontakt player. That\'s K-O-N-T-A-K-T.
    If what you write is correct, then EW is using a Kompakt player. K-O-M-P-A-K-T.
    (At least nobody\'s offering a library using Intakt. That would be I-N-........ )
    I can see how one can easily get confused by NI\'s naming conventions.
    The Kontakt player developed by NI for GPO is OSX compatible initially.

Trond

And if i may add.. (because i have both app) K-o-n-t-a-k-t 1.5 is an osx only (at this time) and
    K-o-m--p-a-k-t is (at this time) an os9 only and also very buggy! also there is K-o-n-t-a-k-t
    1.2.1 which is currently the os9 version.

Hope this doesnt confuse anybody !

j-e-a-n--p-i-e-r-r-e B-r-i-e
    http://loreille.com

According to the NI site, the KOMPAKT (read: QLSO) player for OSX would be out at some point this month - some other thread I read said this week or next. However, I can\'t get any validation on that.

I was surprised to note that on OSX I couldn\'t copy my QLSO KOMPAKT samples over from the windows machine to the OSX machine and play them in KONTAKT 1.5 for OSX [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Eric

You are correct sir! Sorry, I misread the date of the original post. I has indeed been 6 days.

Ding ding ding. OK I got it.
    So, GPO is the KONTAKT not KOMPAKT. That does clear stuff up. Thanks Trond and other who responded.

Sincerely,

Go Back to forum