• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO for Kids

Share/Bookmark

GPO for Kids

I am looking for a sample lib/sample player/notation software for my eleven year old niece. She plays the piano very well and is comfortable using PCs. I was thinking of buying GPO/Overture/Kontak for her for Christmas. Can anyone, especially Beta Testers, talk about how easy or difficult this combination of software would be to use for an eleven year old child? Other suggestions are also welcome. Thanks

Re: GPO for Kids

GPO was designed with hobbyists and students in mind so most things have been kept simple. I haven\'t tested Overture myself but the GPO player is quite easy to use. Anyone with decent PC knowledge, this would include my 7 and 9 year olds, would be able to use this program. I think a good majority of children my kids age and over would be able to pickup on programs such as Overture. My kids have no problem navigating around Microsoft Powerpoint and Word. They show me things I didn\'t even know!

Craig,

Another solution is Sibelius. It\'s a top notation software package (the other is Finale). For kids this is the way to go (as compared to using a sequencer like Sonar/Cubase/Logic/DP), as she will be working more traditionally, and closer to the way that she has learned music.

Also, for a young musician, the quality of the notation software is more important than the quality of the sound sets. It is the notation program where one creates and learns. The sounds simply play themselves. If they sound good it\'s rewarding. If they sound bad it\'s not. But as long as they sound okay, it\'s probably good enough.

Sibelius 3.0 ships with Kontakt Silver. For $100 more you can get Kontakt Gold. Silver only plays up to 8 sounds at a time, and has limited instruments. Gold is pretty complete, and plays more sounds concurrently. Both are adequate for proofing a score, and neither sounds as good as GPO.

I don\'t know Overture, but I love using Sibelius. It\'s a pleasure to use, is very fast and efficient, and can do everything I need it to and much more. The key would be to compare Overture and Sibelius. Sibelius has a demo on its site that you can try out. They also have educational pricing.

Assuming that Sibelius is the stronger notation program (my assumption, mind you), then I\'d do the following:

* Get Sibelius, if she writes for piano only.
    * Get Sibelius with Gold, if she will write for bigger ensembles.
    * Add GPO later, if she shows promise and needs better sounds. A birthday present, maybe?

Can Sibelius be used by kids? There\'s a kid in town who wrote a short piece for brass band when he was twelve using Sibelius. Next month it will be performed at the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall in Portland (home of the Oregon Symphony) - and the kid gets to conduct it! (And he just used the sounds in his MIDI soundcard.) So, yes. Kids can use it!

Originally posted by JonFairhurst:
    Craig,

Another solution is Sibelius. For kids this is the way to go (as compared to using a sequencer like Sonar/Cubase/Logic/DP), as she will be working more traditionally, and closer to the way that she has learned music.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I appreciate all of your points Jon. That\'s even true for me i.e. working from a piano roll interface as opposed to traditional notation, limits my compositional technique. And for learning kids, as you say, even more important. But, isn\'t Overture SE (not sure what the SE part of the version means) also a notation driven sequencer? It\'s not a Sibelius but then again it\'s part of the package.

One more question for those in the GPO know. When GPO/Kontakt is launched, does it automatically load all the instruments or does the user load them as needed?

Just wanted to mention that I have and use Overture and, yes, it is a notation-based sequencer but it also has very easy to use MIDI editing and a piano-roll type window if you want to see your data that way. I find it very easy to use and it has plenty of power for doing any type of traditional notation, from piano solo to full orchestral scores. I\'ve looked at Sibelius but not used it. Seems to me the GPO + Overture package is a better deal than getting Sibelius and its considerably more limited version of Kontakt. However, I don\'t know what \"LE\" means and you might want to ask how that version differs from the full Overture package. If you want more info on Overture, go to geniesoft.com.

Sibelius is a proper notation software. To consider purchasing or not purchasing Sibelius based on this newly added Kontakt player is a grave mistake, and is to be on the wrong track. Finale, Sibelius’ competitor, has struggled to keep a close second in the notation department, but Sibelius is still the best. This Overture thingy is a useless addition to GPO for those who own Sibelius.

The version of Overture shipping with GPO is a special edition that interfaces with GPO. There is templates setup to use within Overture for GPO. It is a notation based program. Cubasis, also shipped with GPO, is a regular sequencer program.

The GPO Kontakt player allows to load either individual or multis. There are several multis already included that have setups for strings, woodwinds, brass, etc. You can create your own multis.

Originally posted by E minor:
    Finale, Sibelius’ competitor, has struggled to keep a close second in the notation department, but Sibelius is still the best. This Overture thingy is a useless addition to GPO for those who own Sibelius.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Open to debate.

Some of us would say that Sibelius, Finale\'s competitor, has struggled to keep a close second in the notation department. I, for one, am very pleased with Finale\'s ability to make engraver-perfect scores and provide wonderful playback capacity... that should be astounding with the addition of GPO.

Be it as it may, I\'m sure that one would enjoy composing with either program.

David

I just want to go on the record to say that CSDuke is one heckuva great uncle.

When I was eight years old, my uncle gave me his prized baritone uke, showed me how to play a couple of chords and said, \"Take it home, kid. Then come back and impress me.\"

That was the start of my love for playing and composing. It\'s nice to see there are other great uncles out there.

Go Back to forum