• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Kontakt and Garritan - the future of sampling...

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt and Garritan - the future of sampling...

Hello all. Around this chat board the talk between Giga and Kontakt has created some pretty nasty debates. Well I\'ve been trying to decide what I really will dig into as well. I\'ve already got Giga so it\'s not like I\'m going to toss my liscense, but i think it\'s becoming clear, Kontakt is creating some very nice and distinct advantages. Besides the obvious ones like someone will acknowledge NI is still in business - vs. Tascam who pretends they\'re doing something with Giga - NI has developed the very practical Kompakt player which allows developers like Gary to develop such products as the GPO. It\'s cross platform, you don\'t have to buy a sampler, and it works! Clearly developers are loving this. Just look at who all is jumping on board. East West, Garritan, through East west Michel Post now has his piano in the same format. And I know more will come. Plus, the cool thing is if you DO have kontakt, you can pull the same sounds into that and use the full blown version if you desire.

With that said I predict Kontakt will over take Giga in market share over the next 9-12 months. Unless something so incredbily ground breaking is in GS3 - so amazing that customer service doesn\'t matter, I don\'t think Giga will survive. That\'s not to say I will never use it, but I just don\'t think it will fly.

With that said, apparently there\'s some additional programming things in Kontakt that are amazing. Word has it Tom Hopkins is flying high with joy working with it. I don\'t understand all the features, but I\'m just thinking some of the things with Giga that bug all of us, which I personally blame on archetetcutre, will not be a problem with kontakt. In fact kontakt I believe will re-write some of the rules for sampling. Just look what NI has done with software synthesis! I forsee a future where GOS updates are not just merely some more patches, and variations, but literally new instruments in kontakt using the same sample material. I forsee GOS taking creating new standards within the string library world with the samples they\'ve ALREADY made! nothing new. And these new standards I believe will only be able to be developed for Kontakt. I\'m not sure what it is, but it has to do with archetecture.

SO, with all that said - Gary - What\'s the upgrade path from GOS giga to GOS Kontakt? There\'s been a lot of talk about one library being better blah blah blah, I think it ultimately is going to come down to programming and sampler - and I think Tom Hopkins is THE man!

Re: Kontakt and Garritan - the future of sampling...

I have to agree that Tom definitely is the man! Has he been \"flying high with joy\" again??!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

There\'s much talk about which sample library is better than the other, or which sampler is better. Today there are many great colors and brushes in the musician\'s palette. A flared brush is not necessarily better than a wide one. Yellow paint is not necessarily better than red. You use the tools and the colors that are needed for a particular job.

Both Kontakt and Giga have their own unique set of strengths and advantages. Giga is still a good product and we have had some projects in development for some time. We are not abandoning the platform at this time and are eager to see what 3.0 has to offer.

I have not decided on pricing for the upgrade path to Kontakt GOS yet. Much depends on what will be included. We may include some solo strings and/or a harp with GOS II. Would you be in favor of such an addition?

Gary Garritan

That pretty well sums up my view!

Yes to solo strings!

Yes, I\'d love some Solo strings, and I\'m looking for a harp [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] So, sure! I\'m up for whatever!

I have not decided on pricing for the upgrade path to Kontakt GOS yet. Much depends on what will be included. We may include some solo strings and/or a harp with GOS II. Would you be in favor of such an addition?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Gary, I would be mainly happy to see the GOS lib in all it\'s 24 bit glory, in Kontakt format.

Also if possible, with an inbuilt legato tool and the round robin feature automatically performing the alternate up/down bow strokes. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hello folks, new member here. Just want to introduce myself and add one more vote to J. Whaley comment. I just ordered Kontakt a few days ago and soon will step in the wonderful world of sampling for the first time!

As a composer who use Mac and know nothing about PC, I\'ve avoided using sample libraies because of the Giga format. All the great libraries and not even one Mac sampler that can translate it perfectly without problem! PC is not an option for me because I won\'t be able to fix a thing if (when, actually) anything goes wrong.

So something like GOP, with its own player, is perfect for me. I know it will work 100% out of the box (I hope!), the best thing is no conversion. If I won a lottery, I\'d certainly get QLSO for this same reason. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,

I have used Giga for some time, and I like many of the features...but, I have ordered Kontakt today. The offer was too good to pass up so I decided to buy the thing. I hope it works for me like Giga has. I too, am looking forward to version 3.0.
    I would like to know what GOS II will contain. I am always up for more solo strings. If the harp is a symphonic pedal harp, that would be good too.

Hi, Gary!

We may include some solo strings and/or a harp with GOS II.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">As a Mac/Logic user I am also very interested in crossing over from GOS Giga to GOS Kontakt. You have mentioned GOS II in some threads. What exactly is GOS II? Is this the 24bit version of GOS, or is this a whole new set of string samples? In either case I am thrilled! Solo strings and Harp? Great!!!

Looking forward to GPO!

I wish I could share the enthusiasm over Kontakt. I like the sounds it makes available, but:

1. I find the interface very badly done. The colors and font sizes make reading difficult.

2. The way effects and envelopes are buried make them hard to find. And when you do activate one, it moves other effects and envelopes out of view, so there\'s far too much scrolling required when you want to edit. VSampler has a far better interface, using largish tabs to move between envelopes and effects. (On the other hand, I know, VSampler has fewer filters.)

3. Kontakt\'s handling of grouping and envelopes seems convoluted, to me: to assign different envelopes to different samples (if you want a longer decay in the bass of a piano than the midrange, for example), you have to assign the different samples to new groups and then create a new envelope for each group. And this doesn\'t always seem to work. Much cleaner if you could just select samples and set the envelope for them. And if you have several envelopes, now, you run into the interface problem mentioned above: you have to scroll too much too find them.

4. The envelopes are a little limited. You can\'t assign new envelope points. You can\'t enter settings except by turning those hard to control knobs. Would be nice if you could right-click and enter the setting you need.

5. The looping feature never has worked logically. You can\'t do the very simple thing that you must do to test a loop: play the full note back with the loop, to see how it will sound if you were to press the key.

I hate to complain like this. Kontakt is great once you get the settings you want, but it doesn\'t make editing an instrument easy, and in fact seems to set huge obstacles in the way. Clearly, it\'s sometimes more straightforward than Giga, with the strange separate program, Gigaedit, but even Gigaedit lets us see more at once. (Hm..it uses tabs, too, come to think of it.)

Go Back to forum