• Register
  • Help

Topic: Logic Virtual Maestro Tools questions

Share/Bookmark

Logic Virtual Maestro Tools questions

Roman

Thank you for programming this enviroment layer. It has really revolutionized my use of GOS. I have a couple of questions though.

1.) When using the program set feature of multi channel mode - how do you denote the programs used by channel B? Channel A just starts with whatever program is the Base midi channel and keyswitches move the channel up consecutively. With Channel B how do you tell it where to start? As Gigastudio has four seperate ports, how do you denote a different port for use on Channel B?

2.) Assuming you are using 8 articulations for each section of the string orchestra (2X4 channels) which 8 do you use to facilitate your writing? Do you have VL I and VL II instruments loaded - do you split VL I And VL II over the 8 channels dedicated to the Violin section? If not, do you run into phasing/realism issues in using the same instrument for both VL I and VL II lines? What does your setup look like?

Re: Logic Virtual Maestro Tools questions

Hi Wacky,

thank you, I am glad you like my work! Now, I feel a little whacky [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] , because I am not 100% sure, if I understand your question right. Allow me just to explain how the program set feature is suposed to work:

If you use four articulations on each channel-set 1-4, 5-8, 9-12 and 13-16 as I propose in the manual, you might get into the situation, where you like to control more than 4 articulations in real-time. For that purpose, you can use the Program-Set-Switcher to send pre-defined program.changes to each channel of the current channel-set (same port). If you engage the switcher, it responds to keyswitches G0/G#0 (or whereever you KS-shifted your keyswitch-octave to). Now pressing G0 makes VMT send all bank/channel settings you choose on the left side (Prg.Set A), pressing G#0 makes VMT send all program-change settings to the right (Prg.Set B).

This means, if you are working on channels 9-12 (Input-Channel Fixer set to \"9(-12)\" )and press G#0, all Prg.Set B-settings are being sent to channels 9, 10, 11 and 12 (or only some of them, depending on which prg.-changes you enabled by toggling the little button before them to \"On\").

All changes only affect channels on the currently selected port at the arrange list.

I hope, this helps

best regards

Roman

Hi Wacky,

sorry, I completely forgot your second question.

\"Assuming you are using 8 articulations for each section of the string orchestra (2X4 channels) which 8 do you use to facilitate your writing?\"

I start with EXP LEG REL, Grand Sustains EXP REL, a Portato patch and a short Marcato/Staccato for each section (often the agg VAR1). Then I love to add the Sul Tasto ALT VAR1 and pizzicato where available.

\"Do you have VL I and VL II instruments loaded - do you split VL I And VL II over the 8 channels dedicated to the Violin section?\"

Yes, I use both sections for more realism and to avoid phase cancellation.

\"If not, do you run into phasing/realism issues in using the same instrument for both VL I and VL II lines?\"

see above

\"What does your setup look like?\"

I start with four basic articulations for each string section on one port and then overdub another 2-4 fitting the needs of the composition on another port. I happen to be to lazy to use the Program-Set-Switcher often. Recently I use Kontakt on the sequencing machine to add Vienna Strings (legato, portamento and homegrown AutoVAR-staccato) to the whole.

Best

Roman

Thanks for getting back to me so soon Roman.

I figured it out. I was assuming that using the program switcher you could have 4 extra articulations for EACH channel set that could be automatically keyswitched.

I now understand that, as the program switcher is \"bank/program-change\" based it would be necessary to remap the programs whenever you wanted to move to another channel set (i.e. from 1-4 to 5-8).

Is there anyway to make the program switcher \"port-based\" as opposed to \"bank/program- changed- base\"? That way you could have VL I articulations on Port I/Channels 1-4 and Port II/Channels 1-4 and just keyswitch between the two ports.

Am I making sense?

Hi Wacky,

interesting idea! It would be possible, but neither easy to program nor easy to edit after recording.

As Logic is only capable of recording to a \"All Channels\"-object of a single port, there is no way to record MIDI to two separate ports in real-time. The only trick that would work was to create an virtual object to record to, that would toggle the ports to send the already recorded data to after the fact, e.g. using a recordable controller-event, that the keyswitch was sending. Mhmmm. As you see, this IS complicated. And not nice to handle. And: you would have to set up this circuit for every port-distribution you\'d like to use within the same song again and again.

I think we have to stick with it as is, although your idea makes perfect sense.

Best

Roman

Go Back to forum