• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mach Five

Share/Bookmark

Mach Five

I\'m using the lite version on the EXS24 with great results and am getting ready to upgrade to the full version. The Mach Five from Motu looks like a great interface. I was wondering if anyone out there has imported the giga version into the Mach Five and if so, what was the result?

I\'m looking at all my options in PC world since Emagic has abandoned me.

Thanks

Re: Mach Five

Originally posted by LHall:
    I\'m using the lite version on the EXS24 with great results and am getting ready to upgrade to the full version. The Mach Five from Motu looks like a great interface. I was wondering if anyone out there has imported the giga version into the Mach Five and if so, what was the result?

Thanks
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Is Mach Five out?

Alex

Well, I saw it advertised for sale by Sweetwater, at a discount even, so I assumed it was out. But you know what they say about \"assume\".

I don\'t have giga yet, but from what I\'ve read, the Mach Five looks to be a more versatile and intuitive interface.

Any thoughts?

Here\'s how I think it\'s going to go:

Mach 5 gets released late June.

It works ok, for the basic stuff. Start taxing it a bit and it croaks...especially with the streaming and 5.1 stuff. Also, the format import is not really as slick as previously advertised. People complain about it not really delivering what it promised. Around the end of August or early September MOTU releases a small update that takes care of the biggest issues that people are having (we\'ll call this one 1.0.1). Around Xmas time or January 2004 in time for Winter NAMM MOTU announces the big update to Mach 5 (we\'ll call it 1.1) with lots of bug fixes and a promise of flawless performance. Around March 2004 people start finally receiving the Mach 5 1.1 and report good results. Never mind of course that most pro users have by then switched to the new PPC 64-bit processor from IBM and even crappy apps run like a charm.

Sorry to poop on MOTU, but this has been their pattern for the past few years.

Moral of the story is....don\'t get too excited about Mach 5, it\'s not out yet and even when it comes out it will probably take another 6-9 months for it to feel really solid. So unless you\'re willing to wait about a year I would look into what\'s already out such as Giga, Kontakt, EXS24, HALion 2 and Unity Session.

That may be true of MOTU, but keep in mind that Mach Five is not developed by MOTU.....it\'s developed by the UVI team in France. (Same team that we work with for the Spectrasonics instruments). MOTU is only distributing it under their brand.

So it will actually be a lot more mature system than people realize.

The built in conversion is really good for most formats since it is essentially CD-Xtract (created by the same guy) which is also quite mature.

It\'s going to be a very nice sampler, and yes of course all 1.00 products have room for more powerful things in the future.

spectrum

Originally posted by LHall:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I would strongly encourage you to consider Cubase SX. I was using Logic, too. And the first time I saw SX I felt more lost than when I was a teenager! However, I\'ve found it a great replacement on the PC. And what I like best is the opportunity to expand the setup using System Link, the number of VSTi available, that all the major libraries are going to Kontakt (including GOS) so expanding is even easier.

Since SX can read three (3) RME HDSP 9652 cards (for 72 I/O), with System Link, you can connect the Toslink outs from the other audio cards directly into the host computer. With System Link you get 16 virtual MIDI ports per individual system, so no new MIDI interfaces are needed. If you keep to VST only, you can use the new FX Teleport to setup up a network that ONLY requires the one audio card in the host PC computer running Cubase SX (www.fxteleport.com).

SX is well supported by TC Works Powercore where you can upgrade Powercore to include the Sony Oxford plug-ins, then there\'s the Waves packages, too.

In all, I feel like I\'ve gained a complete music production system that I didn\'t have with Logic, since it never implemented the VSTi function that well.

Hope this helps.

I\'m also an SX user and am for the most part happy with it. My biggest complaint would be that some of the features that existed in Cubase 5 have been dropped out of SX and into Nuendo. This is a real bummer for composers as they mainly related to visual components.

Since Eric mentioned that Mach 5 is written by UVI, I will say that I have Atmosphere version 1.00 (powered by UVI) and have never had a problem with it. Of course, a VST plug is not nearly as complex as a sequencer, but nonetheless I did initially have doubts about my software being 1.00... Luckily though, there has never been a cause for concern.

Scott.

[/qb][/QUOTE]I would strongly encourage you to consider Cubase SX. I was using Logic, too. And the first time I saw SX I felt more lost than when I was a teenager! However, I\'ve found it a great replacement on the PC. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I\'ve had other recomend looking at Cubase SX. The thing that concerns me is - is it as deep a SEQUENCING machine as Logic? I do most my audio recording on a stand-alone, so I\'m focused on the programing aspects. Logic is great for all the quantization, tempo reclocking and locking to SMPTE, scoring for orchestra and such. I\'m also addictied to the user key commands. Just curious what your opinion is on this stuff.

Thanks Much,
    Larry

Cubase SX was designed from Nuendo, Steinberg\'s superb flagship DAW, so its plenty deep. You can do all your macro programming and so on with ease and I\'ve got to say its fantastic for flexibility. I never liked any of the previous versions of Cubase and for years used Cakewalk Pro series & Synclavier 9600 with a Sadie system. Once I\'d spent a week test driving SX, I had to have it and I\'ve yet to be disappointed by it.

Best place to ask questions is Cubase.net, except you get the usual thick-wits hanging out there
    throwing around the usual anti-Steinberg crap - which I REALLY hate!.

Go Back to forum