• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: How do you go about buying a Strad, Gugeri?

Share/Bookmark

OT: How do you go about buying a Strad, Gugeri?

Just wondering, one day if I do become unpleasantly rich and would love my kids to play the violin, is it possible to buy a Stradivarious or Gugeri??? How do those violinists on GOS afford these instruments???

Sorry if this sounds stupid!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

meeehoon

Re: OT: How do you go about buying a Strad, Gugeri?

Hi Meeehoon,

A very good question and I\'m glad you asked.

The quality string instrument market is its own very exclusive network. Few are fortunate to afford these masterpeices.

In the GOS library, we recorded two Stradivari in the violin sections. One was owned by the player and the other was on loan to the player. There are societies that actually own and then lend these exquisite instruments to extraordinarily talented players. Some societies act as a broker and bring together owners of these instruments with gifted players.

The Stradivari Society http://www.stradivarisociety.com/ is one such organization that identifies the most promising artists and unites them with unique instruments in order to help them launch their professional careers. There are other organizations and endowments that are dedicated to providing gifted players with these instruments.

Instruct your children to practice hard because the competition to obtain these instruments is fierce. Of course they can also go to business school and perhaps be able to afford one of these beauties - most likely to cost in the seven digits. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Gary Garritan

Thanks for the reply Gary!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Good to know!!! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Garritan:
    Instruct your children to practice hard because the competition to obtain these instruments is fierce. Of course they can also go to business school and perhaps be able to afford one of these beauties - most likely to cost in the seven digits. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">7 digits!!! Whow!!! It makes me wonder though, why is it that Stradivarious did not pass down his violin making skills to his children??? I would presume that there are only about 200+ of such violins left in this world and in a few decades time, this number will probably be reduced even more... A shame though... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Anyway, hope all is well with you and your family!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Regards,
    Jun

Sorry, double post.
    MichaŽl

Originally posted by meeehoon:
    7 digits!!! Whow!!! It makes me wonder though, why is it that Stradivarious did not pass down his violin making skills to his children??? I would presume that there are only about 200+ of such violins left in this world and in a few decades time, this number will probably be reduced even more... A shame though... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Anyway, hope all is well with you and your family!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Regards,
    Jun
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Mmmh...I believe they won\'t disappear so easily. They have been travelling over 300+ years by now. I guess we can still count on their amazing endurance [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] .

We shouldn\'t forget people like Stradivarius had a whole team in their workshop so that their production was quite numerous. I don\'t know how many of their violins are left today but I think it is much more than the 200+ you suggest. I met myself more than once a Stradivarius or Guarnerius owner. Also, you shouldn\'t forget some of them are totally unplayable although they have been very well conserved: their wood has acquired a very bad sound as it has grown older [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] .

That said there has always been and there are nowadays yet people who perfectly know the art of making violins. As good as Stradivarius ones and the likes (there are some of them in my neighbourghood). The difference lies in the fact that they are too young. Their sound gets better as decades are passing and 300 years are quite an honorable time to make a violin sound good (or bad if you\'re unlucky) [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] .

I read some time ago a very delightful novel, the theme of which was Stradivarius life and work. I don\'t know if it has been translated in English. It was a bit too much of a romance but the informations are exact [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

MichaŽl

Hiya Mikhail,

Could you let me know the title of that novel you read if possible? And the author? Would love to read it but will try to find a copy in English... [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Thanks!

Jun

Hi Jun! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Well, all I can do is give you the references of the original book:

Author: Jean Diwo
    Title: Les Violons du Roi
    publisher: ťditions DenoŽl
    made in Paris, 1990

I made a research but I found no reference of a possible version in english.
    I found it on several online bookstores but only in french.

MichaŽl

Go Back to forum