• Register
  • Help

Topic: Yellow Tools Keyswitch.

Share/Bookmark

Re: Yellow Tools Keyswitch.

Thanks for the tip Dave. I kinda overlooked the app when it was first announced but I will definately check it out now.

Yellow Tools Keyswitch.

I\'ve been trying to find a way of playing as many GOS articulations as possible on the same MIDI channel in my sequencer .
    I tried and failed to build my own Keyswitch instruments (not enough dimensions etc).

Tom Hopkins suggested I try Virtual Maestro Tools as I\'ve just started using Logic Audio again. As it turned out VMT sits at the sequencer input so the Virtual Maestro Tools/Keyswitching effect gets recorded. I\'d rather this happen the other way round at the sequence output. It also won\'t allow polyphony either as far as I could tell so I needed another solution.

I\'ve not seen much mention of Yellow Tools Keyswitch. It\'s freeware and you can get it here. http://www.yellowtools.de/index2_e.htm

I found out about it in a recent Sound on Sound article. Basically it\'s a little app that sits after the PC MIDIinterface and before Gigastudio. If you assign eight violin 1 articulations to Port 1 MIDI channels 1 to 8 for example, you can switch between the MIDI channels using Keyswitches set up in the Keyswitch app. All this under the control of one track/midi channel in your sequencer.

What\'s more, you can also insert Maestro Tools between the MIDI interface output and the input of Keyswitch so you can still use all the ALT, LEG patches etc. COOL!!!

If there\'s a catch I\'ve not found it yet.

\"It also won\'t allow polyphony either as far as I could tell so I needed another solution.\"
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You are right, but I like to clarify, that using VMT it is no problem to record multiple mono-lines onto the same track and merge the recordings to get one polyphonic recording on a single track.

\"...you can switch between the MIDI channels using Keyswitches set up in the Keyswitch app. All this under the control of one track/midi channel in your sequencer.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">VMT provides MIDI-channel switching via keyswitches, too, but only 4 channels at a time. Monophonic, I admit [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . Consider that the latest VMT-version is capable of ER-alternation and is able to perform random auto-VARiation, auto-release-control (Blend) and other special GOS-tricks.

Greetings

Roman

Hi Roman

I\'m glad you responded because I had a question about VMT if you don\'t mind.

I understand VMT sits at the input to a track in Logic and it\'s output gets recorded rather than the output of a track being processed on it\'s way out to Gigastudio. Does this mean that the alternate notes in ALT intruments appear octaves apart in the Matrix editor?

How do I get hold of the latest version of VMT?

There is a catch with Keyswitch. One is that I have to load the damn thing four times with different routing patches in my system to get 8 articulations of 4 instruments . another is it wastes 8 midi channels on every port. There is a workaround using Maestro Tools but it was a fiddly nightmare to set up. I need to get a four input interface for both my Giga PCs now!!

As things stand though I have a mod wheel SW Detache/Grand Sustain 1st Violins instrument , Sus EXP LEG, Marcato updn ALT, Sautille updn ALT, Tremelo EXP, the Two trills and a Tight/Loose Pizzi mod wheel switch all on one MIDI channel! I have a similar set up for Violas, Cellos, and Basses and everything is only using 4 midi channels. I\'d hate having to split this lot over 32 tracks.

Hi Dave,

I understand VMT sits at the input to a track in Logic and it\'s output gets recorded rather than the output of a track being processed on it\'s way out to Gigastudio. Does this mean that the alternate notes in ALT intruments appear octaves apart in the Matrix editor?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes, I consider this to be the only slight disadvantage of pre-sequencer-processing. Nevertheless I find this and working with LEG-notes as notes with masking-sample-\"satellites\" much more comfortable to edit than having to struggle with recorded keyswitches:

1. Recorded keyswitches have to sit shortly before notes that are supposed to become affected by them - no quantization allowed!! Otherwise your notes will not be played back correctly.

2. If you want to change a notes articulation, you will have to handle not only the position of its accompanying keyswitch, but the keyswitches pitch, too. TWO events make ONE sound. If you record pre-processed multi-channel-switching to an \"All channels\"-Logic-instrument, e.g. using VMT, you just have ONE event per note; to change its articulation you simply CHANGE ITS MIDI-CHANNEL. That\'s nice, isn\'t it?

3. Your recorded keyswitches are seated octaves below your lines - just as your ALT-lines will appear
    split. I therefore see no real advantage in avoiding the octave-spread-view compared to that. Its not really as we want it either way.

How do I get hold of the latest version of VMT?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Bug Gary, he will mail it to you (everyone!). He will announce the new version in a minute. I just have recieved the Mac-version that I have been waiting for two weeks, so that I could finally release the package yesterday. I have included a REAL manual now...

There is a catch with Keyswitch. One is that I have to load the damn thing four times with different routing patches in my system to get 8 articulations of 4 instruments . another is it wastes 8 midi channels on every port.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Indeed. I use to follow this concept:
    Port 1: Violins A 1-4, Violas A 5-8, Celli A 9-12, Basses A 13-16
    Port 2: Violins B 1-4, Violas B 5-8, Celli B 9-12, Basses B 13-16

This way I have 8 articulations of every instrument and switch 4 at atime in real-time while recording. The VMT channel-input fixer allows me to switch between channel-sets very fast. If you don\'t like to spend so much channels, consider using the VMT program-switcher to control 8 articulations on 4 channels (see manual for details).

I need to get a four input interface for both my Giga PCs now!!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Oh no! Help is on the way: I have recently reviewed the MIDIoverLAN-app for PC & Musik (you can download a demo on www.musiclab.com). With that buddy you are able to connect up to 4 GS-machines with all 4 ports using a simple 100MBit LAN-connection. Twentynine bucks. Really: 29,-!! Worked perfectly on both Win98 and WinXP machines with Logic and GS160\'s. Easy. Cool. A real hit.

As things stand though I have a mod wheel SW Detache/Grand Sustain 1st Violins instrument , Sus EXP LEG, Marcato updn ALT, Sautille updn ALT, Tremelo EXP, the Two trills and a Tight/Loose Pizzi mod wheel switch all on one MIDI channel! I have a similar set up for Violas, Cellos, and Basses and everything is only using 4 midi channels. I\'d hate having to split this lot over 32 tracks.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Why? Didn\'t you say you own two GS-machines? Are you short on physical ports? Then MIDIoverLAN should solve that lack, hm? Besides, there is a nice channel-saver using VMT for the Trills:

1. Create a minor/major trill ALT-patch (the major trills three octaves above the minor trills - some AddTech-instruments already provide it.
    2. Put that patch to a VMT-channel, that is defined \"CPress\" ALT.
    3. Now when you press the keyswitch, you will hear the major trills, releasing the k.switch you trigger the minor\'s. On a single channel. Works well with the loose/tight ALT-pizz\'es, too. Saves polyphony compared to the loose/tight Xfade-patches.

A last word on the yellowtool-switcher:
    If you are tapping the pedal for LEG and moving the wheel while switching channels, your dynamics and/or Xfades will jump, whenever an incoming value after switching to a channel differs from the last value sent to it. VMT copes with that by defining channel-slots for various articulations. EXP- and Xfade patches will recieve mod-wheel-data continously and LEG-triggers will only be sent, if you are on a LEG-channel, even if you rest your leg down on that pedal: only LEG-channels will LEG your leg. No lag! And no jumping octaves on non-ALT patches. Only ALT-definitions allow ALTernation - both automatic (with random VAR-option) and manual using aftertouch. OK, I am quite self-confident with my tool, you got me [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] , but I am sure it is the best GOS-solution for all, that are willing and able to PLAY THEIR LINES IN REAL TIME. It simply doesn\'t help step-inputers.

Good luck

Roman

Go Back to forum