• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: GOS Meet the Artist: JEFF BEAL: Questions from forum members invited

Share/Bookmark

GOS Meet the Artist: JEFF BEAL: Questions from forum members invited

We are pleased to announce our next guest in the GOS \"Meet the Artist\" Interviews:
    JEFF BEAL

Jeff\'s compositions can be heard in movie theaters, concert halls, CD recordings and on television and it is an honor to have him as our guest. He composes for the hit ABC\'s new hit series \"MONK\", starring Tony Shalhoub. He composed the music for the acclaimed William H. Macy movie \"Door to Door\". Jeff also scored Ed Harris’ critically-acclaimed movie \"Pollack\", and scored Bob Rafelson’s latest feature \"The House on Turk Street\", The Passion of Ayn Rand\" and numerous others. Jeff is currently working on the music for \"Tibetragon In The Land Of Snows\" (initiated by the Dalai Lama). Jeff’s concert music has been performed by many leading orchestras and conductors from around the world. \"Jeff Beal has intelligence, humanity, fearlessness, and an uncanny ability to hear the sounds that drama depends on- oozing out of every pore. The guy worked magic for me. Plus, he\'s a gentleman.\" -Ed Harris. Jeff\'s web site is at: http://www.jeffbeal.com/ (There are many MP3s available to listen in the various film pages)

Jeff has been gracious enough to offer examples of his work for forum members to listen to. There may also be a listening assignment which members are invited to watch an episode of ABC\'s hit series \"MONK\" and ask questions relating to how the music was done. Here is a link to the MONK mp3s here.

We are now inviting questions for Jeff from members of the forum. If you have questions about how Jeff approaches composition and scoring, the projects Jeff is working on, about his use of GigaStudio, arranging, sample libraries, MIDI orchestration, the business, or have any other questions; now is your chance to ask Jeff. At the end of the questioning period, your questions will be presented to Jeff and we will then post his response in interview form.

Let the questions begin!

Gary Garritan

Re: GOS Meet the Artist: JEFF BEAL: Questions from forum members invited

Hiya Gary and Jeff...

Thanks again Gary for organising this interview!!!

For Jeff:
    (1) What midi controllers do you use? And what is your current studio setup?

(2) How do you generate ideas for movies? I mean, is there a set rule that you follow? For example, a scary scene with ninjas hiding in a closet: You would use tremolo & crescendo strings; or a car chase scene, then you would use percussions etc. Are there certain types of instruments that you always use for certain types of scenes?

(3) What would you be doing if it wasn\'t for music?

(4) Do you like to eat noodles? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks Jeff... [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Thanks Gary... [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

meeehoon

Jeff,

I knew I heard your name before. It sounded so familiar. But I let it go and followed your website to check out your stuff. I see you playing flugelhorn. Then BAM!! I remember where I saw you. It was in a small city called Redlands in California and I saw you play some jazz with a combo at Jazz and Java. This was maybe 10 years ago!!! Do you remember doing any gigs there?

Do you remember Jay Sayers from KUOR? He was a bassist in the Redlands area and was a jazz DJ for awhile.

Jeff--the trumpet is not exactly a low-maintenance instrument. How do you keep your chops in shape while functioning as a full-time professional composer?

Jeff--could you briefly describe the main tools you couldn\'t live without in your work as a composer (i.e., which sound card, sequencer, computer, software, etc.)?

Jeff--what aspects of your conservatory training at Eastman would you say were invaluable in your current work as a composer? Were there any particular classes or opportunities that ended up playing a large role in your life now?

Jeff--given the glut of composers vying for a relatively small number of jobs, what advice would you give aspiring composers towards securing a career writing music for media?

Jeff--assuming you have to rely on samplers and synths to render some of your scores, what instruments will you absolutely NOT attempt to \"pull off\" with samples/MIDI?

Jeff--do you automate your mixes with an external mixer, or do you prefer to do that in your sequencer? How do you approach the use of samplers/MIDI in your scores, towards the goal of keeping the expressiveness and musicality of a very high quality?

Jeff--when you \"mix down\" your sampler tracks, do you bounce them digitally one at a time, or do you render them all at once? Do you \"submix\" groups of similar instruments at this time, or do you prefer to render each track to its own stereo pair? Do you do this in 24 bits or 16 bits?

Go Back to forum