• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Meet the Artist: Rob Kral: Questions from forum members invited

Share/Bookmark

Meet the Artist: Rob Kral: Questions from forum members invited

Our second GOS \"Meet the Artist\" Interview features Rob Kral. Rob is a well-know film and television composer and has worked on such projects as the the acclaimed series \"Angel\". He is a long-time member of the Northern Sounds User Group and regular contributor. We are honored to have him.

We are now invitng questions for Rob from members of the forum. If you would like to ask Rob any questions about his use of GigaStudio, about the projects he is working on, about orchestral arranging, scoring, MIDI orchestration, composing, or have any questions for Rob; please post your questions here or email them to me at gary@garritan.com.

Once we gather all of your questions, I will present your questions to Rob. We will then post his response in interview form here.

Thank you for your participation and let the questions begin!

Maestro Gary

[This message has been edited by Garritan (edited 04-14-2002).]

Re: Meet the Artist: Rob Kral: Questions from forum members invited

Here\'s my question

Hi! Love your work!
    I was curious if you have kind of a set \"template\" for EQ\'ing down to your final master...This isn\'t just limited to strings, I would also like to know what sort of guideline you follow with Choir, Brass, Percussion, etc, etc...Do specific instruments always get the same treatment? Thanks for the feedback!
    Zack www.changeling-soundstudios.com

It\'s rare to get a glimpse inside the insular world of TV/film composers. My question has to do with workflow and deadlines. What elements (sounds, gear, mixing automation, temp score,...anything that comes to mind) absolutely have to be in place at all times in order for you to crank out the amount of music you have to create, week in and week out? I read about the grueling 3-day turnarounds and I\'m guessing that there must be some time-saving \"insider\" studio/workflow tips that could help us all work faster and more effectively!

Thank you!

[This message has been edited by Phattlippz (edited 04-14-2002).]

What significant events in your life/training as a musician/composer have been the most helpful towards the goal of creating those wonderful, high-quality scores week in and week out? In other words, can you identify elements of your art and craft that you rely on instinctively today that you can trace back to certain activities (i.e., Danny Elfman\'s daily intake of films and film scores from a very early age) in your early development as a commercial composer?

[This message has been edited by Phattlippz (edited 04-14-2002).]

Another question (I just can\'t help myself!) What significant events in your life/training as a musician/composer have been the most helpful towards the goal of creating those wonderful, high-quality scores week in and week out? In other words, can you identify elements of your art and craft that you rely on instinctively today that you can trace back to certain activities (i.e., Danny Elfman\'s daily intake of films and film scores from a very early age) in your early development as a commercial composer?

Phattlippz
    This thread is only for questions for Rob. The questions for Jeremy ended last week. Thanks for your questions.

[This message has been edited by Garritan (edited 04-11-2002).]

Robert:

Can you discuss the following technical aspects:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI> Performance Editing - your approach to MIDI - e.g. delay or anticipating beats in the strings, pitch bending from one note to the next, dropping the volume right after an attack...that kind of thing.
    <LI> Mixdown Editing - how you stage/chain your reverbs/FX and what on instruments; EQ tweaks?[/list]

Rob,

I am interested in the process you go through from viewing the scene(s) to composing. (1) How many times will you watch the scene to get a feel for it before you actually do any composing...and (2) Do you start with one instrument (e.g., piano) as you work on the cue for the scene and orchestrate from there?. Thanks for the time.

Hi Robert,

Have you made any of your own custum sound libraries?

Are there any cues that use live players? What about the main/end titles? Once again, do you use any live players for these musical sections of the show?

Thanks for your time.

Hello, Rob. Thanks for doing this. Here are some questions for you.

1. What sequencing program and version are you now using?

2. Do you have templates setup between your sequencing program, GigaStudio and other equipment so you can load and go?

3. For mixing, do you prefer to use hardware or virtual effects, and what are those boxes/plug-ins that you prefer?

4. What percussion CDs do you suggest especially for realistic bass drum, hand drums, etc.

5. Which woodwind and brass libraries do you find blend the best with GOS?

6. When syncing your studio together, do you use a separate box like the Aardsync or Digital Time Piece? Or are you in a studio where house sync is available?

7. What audio card(s) have you found to be the best for your situation?

8. For mixing, do you prefer to do your mixing inside the computer with a virtual board, or with a hardware mixing board, and why?

Thanks, Rob!

------------------
    Peter Alexander
    peter@alexuniv.com
    www.alexuniv.com
    310-559-3779

Go Back to forum