• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Meet the Artist: Jeremy Soule: Questions from forum members invited

Share/Bookmark

Meet the Artist: Jeremy Soule: Questions from forum members invited

We will be hosting the first GOS Interview with guest artist Jeremy Soule. Jeremy is an incredibly gifted and talented composer in film, television and Interactive productions. Jeremy\'s work has been acclaimed and appreciated by millions of people around the world.

We are now invitng questions for Jeremy from members of the forum. If you have any questions about the use of GigaStudio and orchestral arranging, about film scoring, MIDI orchestration, composing, interactive productions, or have any other questions for Jeremy; please post your questions here or email them to me at gary@garritan.com.
    I\'m sure he\'ll be happy to share his insights, tips and tricks with the forum.

Once we gather all of your questions, I will speak with Jeremy personally and pose your questions to him. We will then post his response in interview form here.

Let the questions begin!

Re: Meet the Artist: Jeremy Soule: Questions from forum members invited

How cool is this?

I have a question:

Jeremy,

First of all i would like to say how much i (as many others also feel) am gratefull for your time answering these questions)

Do you have any helpful information to anyone tryig to get to where you are now?

and could you tell us what equiptment you use?

Many thanks

------------------
    -=Riggs=-

My biggest questions are:

1) On your Garritan string demo\'s, how are you implementing the rest of the orchestra? Are you using any particular off the shelf libraries for your brass, ww and percussion; or, are you using custom recorded samples? A combination of both? Or is it live recording?

2) For mastering work, any special techniques?

3) At this point, do you still utilize Euro-discount orchestras for your work? Or is your gigarig enough? The demos seem to indicate that you hardly need it (if it was totally sampled).

My question:

What is the length (15 minutes, 30 minutes) of music you compose for a particular project and what is the time frame you are given? How and where do you begin? Is it all built around a melody line you happen to stubble on, or?

Thank you for the opportunity.
    Francis Belardino

------------------
    Francis Belardino
    fbelardino@score4post.com

Composer/Sound Designer
    www.score4post.com

Jeremy, what is you favourite food? And if you go for fastfood, do you prefer Burger King or McDonalds?

OK OK .. I\'ll think of something better!!!

[This message has been edited by Simon Ravn (edited 03-26-2002).]

Jeremy,

Could you walk through the typical process you go through when laying strings down. Not so much the compositional process, but the technical process of getting the \'sound\' you get from GOS.

Things like layering (any other string libraries used?), expression control (CC11), EQ\'ing, reverbs, compression, limiting, etc.

Thanks for your time.

[This message has been edited by jubal (edited 03-26-2002).]

Dear Simon

Why you... I\'ll mob`alize ya!

Ohhhh, a wise guy....

knuck knuck!

LOL

Ok, here are a few starters.

At the GDC, it was generally agreed that room ambience was more important and played a larger role than postproduction processing. Do you agree?

In your samples, how much of a roll does room ambience play? (This is related to The Manifesto, and many of you should be interested in this answer.)

How many velocity layers do you use typically per instrument.

How much of a sample are you using? Are you using all of the decay?

Composers like Hans Zimmer use assistance to do transition work. Do you do the same, or is it all you?

I would be interested in your workflow. For example, one well-known composer works on eight bars at a time to a finished state before moving on. I would like even more detail.

Howz about a studio equipment list? Software and hardware used?

I WILL think of more!

-Doyle (That guy in the yeller shirt at GDC)

Hey Jeremy, I posted this question awhile ago in this forum, and Gary suggested I ask you the same question. I\'ve heard your works, and the tonal qualities are awesome. Anyhow, here\'s my question to you:

\"What exactly is your mind-set when you compose? What are you thinking in tone and feel? What\'s your inspiration?\"

Thanks! God Speed.

[This message has been edited by A_Sapp]

[This message has been edited by Garritan (edited 03-27-2002).]

Go Back to forum