• Register
  • Help

Topic: Suggested Patch Layers

Share/Bookmark

Suggested Patch Layers

Hi All

I was wondering if anyone would like to share some details of what GOS patch layers they have found effective.

Like most people, I seem to use the Grand Detaché and the pizzicatos extensively. However, I have not really had much success (not much free time!) with layering short and long bows (Now I am the idiot!). e.g. strong fast passage attacks...

It would be really great if people could share some examples of combinations that work well for them, including any GS settings used ...

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

[This message has been edited by Mark UK (edited 01-30-2002).]

Re: Suggested Patch Layers

Too busy or not interested?!

I thought this forum was about helping people?

Hey Mark, I agree. I love the grand detaches as well !
    For long bows, try layering the 1st violin susv with the sordino. You\'ll get a nice rich sound.

Thanks Damon.

This is exactly the type of help that I was requesting. With so many patches in GOS (which I am very thankful for) it means there are a lot of combinations to experiment with which is very time consuming. Some will obviously work much better than others and I was hoping that by starting this thread, people like myself who are not so technical but are still striving for good string sounds, will benefit from people like yourself who are much further down the road to mastering GS and GOS than I me!

I will certainly give that combination a go!

THANK YOU!

Hey Mark,

sorry missed this sucker with all the crap going on in the sample libraries forum.

The martele\'s are great for layering in to get a nice hard attack. Mix them in a little bit louder and pull back the decay/release/length control a tad so you dont get all teh air from teh natural deccay in the sample

Also layered with sustains you may want to adjus the attac control of the Sustain vibrato (new articulation files) so that you dont get an abrubt attack on the sustain sampes.

With the EXP instruments I like the EXP control somewhere in the MF-F range so that it soudns like the hard attack comes down to teh sustain. You can move the EXP control around in real time to get a pretty nice SFZ patch.

If you are looking to do it with the cellos use the SFZ patches. Teh new Short bows should help get some nice aggressive attacks on top of sustains.

Teh cool thing about doing port layering is that you can control teh short bow volume with velocity but the Expression with the mod wheel.

Of course teh better way to do this is in the sequencer after teh fact.

Try playing a line then copying the track to another MIDI track of jsut short bows, you can adjust Volue and Velopcity here.

Even better is a Multitrack audio editor. you can limit/compress the short bows and add some \"sizzle\" in teh EQ. Giving for a harsher sound.

Best is all of the above! jsut because its more realistic sicne you dont get a static \"midiot\" patch that soudns the same every note.

Howeer I wouldn\'t be surprised if we see some sort of looped hard attack/SFZ pre made patch in the future. Or \"power user\" ART file, for people not afraid of cobining instruments in the editor.

Anyhow, any thing percussive is great for layering to get hard attacks. which is why Martele\'s work so well. remember to try and make the short bows louder/harder thant the sustains, or bring back teh EXP control to match the movement of the short bow., and to make sure you dont get too much of the decay on teh short bow.

atleast this is all waht works for me. I think its better in practice to find what works for you, but these can be used as starting points.

Damon\'s suggestion also works well.

I like to add the sordinos in for some \"rosin\" and to \"widen\" teh sound of each section. It works really well. Especially with WARM instruments and the WARM GPC set to about a value of 100. Pan the susV/GR Detaches hard left and the Sordinos less left, set Gigastudios DSP mixer to collapse the stereo field a tad by moving the right pan control to the left (close to center) and it sounds pretty wonderful.
    If you use one EXP instrument and one velocity switch instrument you can add a nice sense of realism and variation to the melody lines relly easily.

On top of it Add AO/DD solo violin (with a slower attack) to teh sordino section and you get an even better \"space\"

but watch out with solo violins, they have more presence so might need more EQ, and more of a bass cut...
    check this thread out I posted a couple of days ago
    http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/Forum3/HTML/001796.html

letsee. What else.

Fool around with EQs and try approaching the sound as a \"synth\" you may be surprosed at what you can come up with

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

[This message has been edited by KingIdiot (edited 02-01-2002).]

This is more like it!

Thanks King and Damon! Any more suggestions gratefully received. I am sure there are many users out there who could benefit from the abundance of knowledge surfing this forum!

Thanks guys!

In Fact I just layered

PORT one - 1st Violin WARM SusV volume at 90
    Port Two - 1nd Violin Marcato Volume at 101
    Port 3 - 2nd violin martele Volume at 107
    Port 4 - 1st vioin Gr Detache Volume at 90(actually a beta of the new loops but the samples should sound the same,..jsut length different)

Like I said pull back the decay control a tad (GPC 8) almost all the way down since you\'ll be hoding the note down for the sustain.

Bring back the Warmth control to about 100

and then wank away

and I get a killer sound.

Its a poly hog to play this in real time but it sounds nice

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Another thing that I do alot to thicken a sound up or get more short bow variations is to retune the other strings using the coarse tun adjustment in GigaStudio (or reprogram in the editor..but its more detailed)

Say teh Violas to sound like Violins. Take the Violas, Coarse tune the up about 4-5 (or six it you are going to hide them), Then copy the MIDI track for teh short bows on the violins to anotehr track and transpose the line to be in tune again (down 4-5 or 6 steps).

Pan the track to the \"violins\" and drop it a bit nack in the mix (or up..your preference..whatever sounds good for the line) and viola..... more short bow variations..

EDIT-OK I\'m supposed to be workign but I was about to crash anyways, so I took a minute to do this.

Its VERY quick, and probably needs a little more tweaking.
    http://www.musicyouneed.com/GOS/hrdattackviolins.mp3

It pretty much uses all of the above... except for the \"wider\" panning. I defintiely need to work on the EQ. I think there may be a bit too much punch in the short bows from the layering.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

[This message has been edited by KingIdiot (edited 02-01-2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark UK:
    Too busy or not interested?!

I thought this forum was about helping people?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is Mark. But it´s on a voluntary basis... so if anyone has some tips and they feel like helping you out, I am sure they will.

Have a break - have a Kitkat.

Some of these tips sound great, King.

I can\'t wait to try them out when I get home from work!

Thanks

PS. Simon - yes, I realise this is all voluntary and I appreciate as much help as possible. It just kind of seemed strange that we have a 100 post thread slanging match about the merits of GOS yet more constructive posts to actually help people who do like the library and want to use it to its best ability didn\'t seem to attract any attention. Thankfully, Damon and King have given some great input and I am sure others will find this really helpful too.

Go Back to forum