• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gos

Share/Bookmark

Gos

Is there anyone ho now what the price will be for the Akai version of Gos?

------------------

Re: Gos

The AKAI version is being developed. It will not have the same functionality as the Giga Version (of course). Nobody knows what the price will be...because the developer doesn\'t even know. So I would like to ask your suggestions. If we had a 4 CD AKAI set, what would be reasonable? How is $399? Too high/low?
    Gary

At that price, you\'d definately need to include info on what is NOT included!! I can see it now: people lining up to order GOS for $399, converting it to Giga via S converter or Translator, etc. Because its a big price difference from the full version ( and obviously only 4 CDs instead of 16), I feel the customer should be made well aware of the differences between the versions.

So, for now, what WOULD be included/excluded?

That depens on like Robert says what is not included of corse.
    You need to listen to theme first to no the
    differents betwen the Giga/Akai.
    So
    Will there be any differences in the sound
    betwen the Giga and the akai version.
    And what is not included in the akaiversion.

Here are some of the obvious differences in the Akai version:

1. No MaestroTools or its associated features (e.g. no LEG instruments).
    2. Due to RAM limitations in Akai samplers, most instruments will generally resemble the \"Lite\" Giga versions in programming depth (i.e. minor 3rd sample spacing, maximum of 2 velocity layers, etc.).
    3. Shorter sustain samples (but with loops).
    4. EXP limited to 2 layers.

The Akai format has inherent limitations in comparison to the Giga format and those limitations will be pretty obvious when comparing the two versions of the library.

Hi Maestros,
    The Akai version will not be anywhere near as comprehensive as the Giga version. This version would be great for those who want the same sample quality as GOS, but do not want a full-blown professional version. These are basic bead-and-butter strings for those who do not have extensive string needs. The Akai version would be especially useful for those who would like to have quality strings in their keyboard samplers for their live performances.

\"Will there be any differences in the sound between the Giga and the Akai version?\" There shouldn\'t be. They are from the identical string samples - the same Stradivaris and other fine stringed instruments, same recordings, etc. The samples used were converted from the Giga version into Akai, there are just fewer of them - and sustains are looped. This version will be similar to other existing string libraries on the market.

\"What WOULD be included/excluded? And what is not included in the akai version?\"
    Tom covered this above. You simply cannot do on an Akai what you can do in GigaStudio and
    due to RAM limitations and lack of disc streaming, it is impossible for the Akai version to be as robust as the Gigasampler version. Like most other AKAI libraries, this version will also use only a few samples per octave (whereas the Gig version is able to use all the notes of a range chromatically), there will be less dynamic layers, there will be basic Akai programming.
    Because of the programming limitations of AKAI, no MaestroTools, and no keyswitching. There will be limited EXP (expression control) and VIB (vibrato control). There no be as many artiuclations as the Giga version, only basic articulations - Sustain Vibrato, Detache, Marcato, Spiccato, Pizzicato, Tremolo, Trills, Sordinos, Martele and a few others.

Also, I am planning an upgrade path for Akai GOS owners to graduate to the full Giga version. Maybe a generous discount for GOS owners who want an Akai version as well.
    Hope this answers your questions.

Gary

[This message has been edited by Garritan (edited 11-18-2001).]

Gary,
    Virtuoso Strings (2 CD\'s with almost all the time the same samples in all programs) which is really a :-( library cost $1000, at least I paid this price, for Ultimate Strings, which is nothing special (1CD) I paid about 400, so even if the your Akai version has less functionality as GOS, my opinion that you can ask at least $ 450 to 500 for it.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Garritan:
    The AKAI version is being developed. It will not have the same functionality as the Giga Version (of course). Nobody knows what the price will be...because the developer doesn\'t even know. So I would like to ask your suggestions. If we had a 4 CD AKAI set, what would be reasonable? How is $399? Too high/low?
    Gary
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
    IGOR

Gary, ILIO has a new string librry out from Sonic Reality. Its called Interactive string section. Tehre are two versions available. a 2 CD version and a 1 CD version. IMO it sounds crappy even to the lite versions of GOS, BUT it does offer solo strings as well. At 399/499 for each version.

I\'d take this into consideration. Sicne GOS is all ensembles and some of those other libraries offer Solo strings in the \"package\", people may be inclined to go for another package. Even if GOS sounds 10 times better.

I think 499 is a perfectly fine price, Especially if the instruments compare to the \"lite\" versions....but that is really because I already know how good the library is.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Go Back to forum