Re: GS 96 Test Drive...

Originally posted by LifeForceExplorer:

2) Does it tell me that I could likely upgrade
    to GS160 without necessarily even needing more
    ram? (Not that more ram is a big price issue,
    just that I hate to open up my machine when
    I\'ve actually got all this running smoothly
    now - no clicks or pops, no apparent latency
    probs - and I\'m getting a nice clean sound.)

Thanks for any comments. (Dang King, Daly City? I\'m in Pacifica.)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">At the risk of being the cause of trashing your setup: You probably need more RAM.

These might be famous last words, but upgrading the RAM shouldn\'t be a huge problem. It shouldn\'t cause anything that\'s working well to go south. It should improve performance (see how I keep saying \'should\' in case it doesn\'t and you come after me with a meat cleaver?)

If you backup all of your settings before installing the RAM, you should (there I go again) be okay.

Bear in mind that this advice(?) comes from someone who runs everything but the kitchen sink on his machine without any problems (I don\'t want to change anything for the same reasons you gave).

One day, far in the future, in a land far away, we\'ll trust that we can fiddle and change our giga setups without fear of the dreaded pops n\' clicks.

If you\'re happy with what you\'ve got, don\'t change a thing. If you want more, you might have to give the system more to get it.

GS 96 Test Drive...

I loaded nine solo instruments from Prosonus Orch this morning - before heading off to my \"real job\" - and took GS 96 for a max test drive. (This on my humble Win98se P3-550 256ram with a Terratec EWX2496 and a \"local off\" Midi keyboard).

I used one each of solo: contrabass, cello, viola, violin, flute, piccolo, bassoon, clarinet, and english horn in the first nine channels.

No tweaking, just playing the instruments \"out of the box\" and together in a fairly sustained fashion (that is, frequently sounding and holding notes from all nine instruments at the same time), I got the following stats when playing back the whole thing:

Voices: ranged between 40-84
    Peak: 96
    Memory: steady at 32%
    CPU: ranged between 30-42%

1) Are these reasonably good stats for this PC
    with GS 96 ?

2) Does it tell me that I could likely upgrade
    to GS160 without necessarily even needing more
    ram? (Not that more ram is a big price issue,
    just that I hate to open up my machine when
    I\'ve actually got all this running smoothly
    now - no clicks or pops, no apparent latency
    probs - and I\'m getting a nice clean sound.)

Thanks for any comments. (Dang King, Daly City? I\'m in Pacifica.)

hehee

Pacifica is right next door. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I\'m actually on the boarder of South San Fran and Pacifica.

Near Classic Bowling [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

About RAM. IT depends on the inruments you loaded. If they are all chromatic and have many articulations that may use more memory. I\'m not sure I donthave Prosonous. Anyhow. I\'d suggest a trip to Fry\'s and grabbing more RAM, if you can afford it.

About Giga160. ITs hard to say. Once you get above 110 poly count thats where the system can really take a beating. Its not really about CPU usage at that point. Its more about the HArd Drive, and sound drivers...and just how finnicky the computer is.

From what I\'ve read, in \'idle\' mode, Giga 160 won\'t really put any more stress on your system than Giga 96. It just gives you the option to play more simultaneous voices - and do that job yourself [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hehe...King, near Classic Bowling? Come down the steep hill and join me for a cold one at Nick\'s sometime. Are you a Computers & Music (SF store) customer too? (Thank for the comments Z6 and Chadwick)

hehee

Actually I dont go to C&M much anymore.

I\'ve known Charles Duck over at duck\'s in westlake for many years (when he was at Serramonte Music Center) and know a few guys at the GC in SF. Still I rarely shop at a store any more. I\'m an online geek....can\'t you tell?

Down the hill to Nick\'s. Hmm where is that? I was at the Oct lounge a week or so ago to catch a friends band play.

Hehe - I am. Known Joe West since he was in Daly City and I was writing a librarian for the DX-7. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Originally posted by LifeForceExplorer:
    Are you a Computers & Music (SF store) customer too?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

Go Back to forum