• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: LOGGED IP ADDRESS IN FORUM

Share/Bookmark

OT: LOGGED IP ADDRESS IN FORUM

I participate in several forums and this seems to be the only one that DISPLAYS the ip address in every message. I understand why the bb logs the ip for security and indentification reasons, but why do you post the ip address in every message? I\'m sure you can toggle that on or off. Most just print \"IP LOGGED\", but they don\'t display it. It would be easy for a hacker (auto program) to visit this site and grab all of our ip addresses and start hacking around. Too many viruses going around these days. Most of us have very expensive set ups, the last thing we all need is our ip addresses publicly displayed. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Re: OT: LOGGED IP ADDRESS IN FORUM

I think you might have a point there.

I fully agree,

And while we are on the topic of this new InfoPop version, I guess readability (and maybe usability) can be improved somewhat if some nonsense fields can be removed, like Member #, Registered When, etc. Just distracting info, displayed again and again...

Also, since everyone can be considered \"member\", that word can also be removed (below the nick name).

I did find the # Posts field handier at where it was, below the nick name. Gives a good clue about a person\'s contributions to the forum. Now you have to look for that field.

Anywayz, only my € 0.02 (checking if your browser can display the euro symbol...)

Cheers,

Peter

So, does anyone else feel like their ip address should not be displayed here??

Hey 209,48,244,14,

Yeah, let\'s keep things simple and readable,

Regards,

the person behind the dsl modem with ip number 213,84,171,119

I agree-don\'t post the IP. Even with my DSL floating IP, the pool gets reused, and someone could definitely hit my box. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Dasher

I agree - please don\'t post the ip

I agree. There is no good reason to post the IP. It\'s a security problem looking for a place to happen.

-- Martin

Go Back to forum