• Register
  • Help

Topic: Max Reger Suite for cello Op.131c / 2 D minor -completed

Share/Bookmark

Max Reger Suite for cello Op.131c / 2 D minor -completed

All VSL Solo Strings Full.
    Notated with Overture.
    Played back using Overture only with Altiverb, IR: Iglesia San Miguel, Cuenca (Spain).
    No editing, tweaking of any sort.

Part 1: Präludium - Largo (MM~50)
    Part 2: Gavotte - Allegretto (MM~132)
    Part 3: Largo - Largo (MM~52)
    Part 4: Gigue - Vivace (MM~190)

May I thank you all for the kind replies you wrote for the first two parts. Why Reger? Why not? Bach is there, always, and there are thousands recordings of his cello suites. Searching the Net for alternative pieces I stumbled upon Max Reger with his Viola Suites (already presented in the LR) and the Cello Suites. Luckily for me, some Youtube music movies helped me understand these pieces. The same with the Viola Suite, these cello pieces demanded lots and lots of keyswitches and program changes (I am using a matrix with program changes and within a program some alternatives with keyswitches). But the main efforts lay in the tempi, dynamics, attacks (minor in the velocity XF), and legato/slurs.

I enjoyed making these pieces shine (I hope) and Ted, remove your hearing aids!!!

Now for the last instrument in this VSL bundle, i.e. the contrabass. I think I'll compose one short piece myself, there isn't much interesting for solo bass on the Internet.

Summer is coming and guess what, today we have the most sunlight hours, days start shortening........

Raymond

Re: Max Reger Suite for cello Op.131c / 2 D minor -completed

Raymond! You might be interested in checking out 'Embertone' friedlander violin and cello. Your instruments sound good here but I thought you might be interested in some additional libraries. I have listened to the demos and they sound very good. I am going to see if they have a demo download to try out. Jay.

Looked at it. Pity, I need Kontakt software. Too expensive for me because I am almost ready for purchasing the full strings (orchestral) from VSL. Another ~ 750 euros.

Anyway it was worth looking,

Raymond

Hi Raymond,

Finally I found the right time to listen to the Reger Cello Suite. Not only is the cello a 'human voice like' instrument, it sounds perfect in the mood we are in after a sad funeral in the family.

As to the work itself, Reger needn't to be praised for his technical and instrumental finesses, he's an absolute master at it. That doesn't make it any easier for you to rephrase it with samples. We all know that they can be very stubborn as to handling them well. And yet, you've done a terrific job. One can very well hear that a cello player is at work here, even if you didn't touch bow nor string. You know what you're doing, how the instrument should be played, how Reger's music should be looked into. I can't find the words to describe the huge and tiresome work you've put into these pieces, but the final reward is most satisfactory: simply stunning!
    And your personal development with both the samples and the instrument is audible: you've surpassed yourself in the 4th movement with an extreme precision, subtlety and adequacy, together with a fine interpretation.

A big, honest bravissimo from

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    And your personal development with both the samples and the instrument is audible: you've surpassed yourself in the 4th movement with an extreme precision, subtlety and adequacy, together with a fine interpretation.

A big, honest bravissimo from

Max
    Thank you Max. And you know what? That 4th part was the easiest using keyswitches the right moment. It mostly came down to the attacks, delays, expressions, and above all the timing. Notated parts aren't good enough for the necessary phrasing. I applied some tricks, e.g. adding a beat with rests to a bar (e.g. altering the measure from 6/8 to 9/8 and raising the tempo a lot under those extra rests). This was a trick I firstly applied in the Viola Suite.

Today I had a very busy day. Next week I will start composing a short piece for Contrabass solo......

Greetings,

Raymond

Hi Raymond,

That's exactly what I often do to alter the 'rhythmic and metric feel': changing the beat number of a measure. (Not in the original score, but in the performance score. I repeat my statement: incredibly good work!

Max

Go Back to forum