• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garritan Lite Questions

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Lite Questions

I just received the TASCAM newsletter with some info on the new Garritan Lite version.

It says:

Both Looped & Non-looped Sustains & Sordinos Key Switching, Expression, Warmth & Vibrato Control.

I\'ve read a lot of posts talking about how you really have to work with this library to get the most out of it. What I\'d like to know is what do I get if I \'don\'t work with it\'?

What I mean is that I use a Ztar and want to play these sounds \'live\'. I have some pads on my Ztar. Can I assign \'expression, warmth and vibrato control\' to the pads, or can I assign sounds (without keyswitches) to each pad (my pads, by the way, can receive just about anything).

For example, what I do now is assign various DDSS cello sounds to each individual pad and I can play with my left hand and bring in the sound(s) I want with my right hand by depressing the pad(s).

I\'ve listened to most of the demos out there and I don\'t doubt that wonderful things can be done with the full library and a lot of sculpting, but are there any \'live\' demos around?

I\'m not expecting to sound like a chamber orchestra (well, actually that is what I\'m after - I must admit) but would some of the lighter Mozart string pieces be possible (bear in mind that on a Ztar, I can have up to 16 fretboard \'splits\' - discrete midi channels - so in some ways the potential for live \'expression\' is already in the instrument - and playing with two hands means actually voicing the orchestra is almost do-able by assigning the right \'zones\' to the right channels).

Any advice (or pointers to \'live\' demos\') at all (both lite and full) would be greatly appreciated.

At $299 I have to admit that I\'m willing to take a risk on the old-non-returnable goods policy.

One more question: What is \'missing\' from the lite version? (I can live without lots of stuff, by the way, as long as the basics are there). Are the sounds themselves inferior to the full version?

Much Kudos to Garritan for letting us mere mortals get a little sniff of his library. I\'m sure this will sell like hot cakes.

PatS

Re: Garritan Lite Questions

One more question: What is \'missing\' from the lite version? (I can live without lots of stuff, by the way, as long as the basics are there). Are the sounds themselves inferior to the full version?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Check out the following page: http://www.garritan.com/articulations.html.

Pat

Re: Garritan Lite Questions

Thanks Pat, I didn\'t see that page before. It looks quite promising. I doubt that I could use some of the more complex tools \'live\' anyway, and I suppose I could always upgrade in the future (with a huge dent in the back of my head when my \'better half\' explains the wisdom and folly of sample-library purchasing).

Go Back to forum