• Register
  • Help

Topic: Solo strings and woodwind suggestions

Share/Bookmark

Solo strings and woodwind suggestions

Grinded to halt trying to decide on Xsample, Dan Dean, or Miroslav solo instruments. Any suggestions or previous posts that can shed light on which library to go with for intimate backing and lightly accenting pop music. Or should I wait for garritan?

Re: Solo strings and woodwind suggestions

Depends on the music IMO

for Strings. I\'ld love to say wait for Gary\'s, but I hate saying \"wait\". I love the tone of Dan Deans from what I\'ve heard ( I dont have them, but think the tone is fantastic). The problem here is there is only one velocity (Mf/Forte).

Xsample sounds great....but....no vibrato. Which renders is useless IMO for anything with focus on expressive playing. LFO\'s immediately make solo strings sound fake.

Not so sure about Miroslav solo strings.

Woods.

Dan\'s is the most extensive in terms of sample count and some articulations. But you dont get Trills and I *personally* dont like the oboe and Eng Horn sound. IMO I think his Brass is 20 times better. Which maybe frustrates me more about the woodwinds. I do have to say that the flutes have grown on me tho. I\'d still like more ambinece in the samples and a tad more \"ir\" in the breath sound.

Gary\'s. again not even close if you\'re thinking the near future. But I\'m sure they\'ll sound good when they are done.

Miro. People love these. I\'ve heard a little bit of them and have to say that they are very usable..... but expensive.

Boy is this going to stir the waters... [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

End of summer look for something really big and really cool in the solo string department from Big Fish.....can\'t comment to much right now but this will definately NOT be your run of the mill sampled string library.....Lots of different things will be in this....

Donnie

Donnie, sounds interesting - especially if it\'s in tune too.

I like my Dan Dean Solo strings. They are very expressive, they sound truly authentic to me and are a great value. Don\'t have XSamples but I believe you have to buy several disc to get a string quartet. I considered XS as well but needed the vibrato (doesn\'t everone?). XS demos sound very fine though.

DDSS is a first class product with a very high quality/$$ quotient.

csduke:

Could you give us a short demo where DDSS sound truly authentic ?

Thanks,

Alex

Donnie,

Without revealing too much (and I know you won\'t, that\'s cool) can you comment:

I need NV solo violin suitable for \'electronic-ifying\' to create a Jean-Luc Ponty-style solo violin. I plan to do vibrato via ribbon controller, so the expression is very natural, but I need that jazz bite in the attack.

Should I be holding my breath?

Dasher (turning blue [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] )

It\'d be great if someone would post a little something done with DDSS showing them off. I\'d like to give this library a try, but I can\'t based on the demo at dandeanpro.com.

Thanks,
    Mahlon

Originally posted by lex:
    csduke:

Could you give us a short demo where DDSS sound truly authentic ?

Thanks,

Alex
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sure, if someone has some server space where the mp3 could live for a while. Let me know.

csduke:

try uploading it here..
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NemesysMusic/files/

mp3\'s stay there forever..

Alex

Go Back to forum