• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Adding vibrato and bending to DD brass HELP!!

Share/Bookmark

Adding vibrato and bending to DD brass HELP!!

Hi Everybody!
    Could anyone give me some help?
    I´m trying to give to the Dan Dean Trumpet NV some fake vibrato (thru mod wheels) and pitch bending without any sucess. The programing of those patches are so complex to me!!
    Thanks in advance for your help
    Regards
    Jose Pereira

Re: Adding vibrato and bending to DD brass HELP!!

I second the question, though I am trying to do it in Gigasampler 64 with DD strings.

I realize that this sounds like a question from a clueless Warez user--it is not. I\'m a paying customer. I just find the original Gigasampler documentation and editor interface completely opaque and difficult. I can *never* seem to find the answers I\'m looking for, so I\'m pretty much resigned to using GS as a sample playbakc module with minimal tweability, but this time I really need to do some pitch slides with DD Strings.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Jose Pereira:
    Hi Everybody!
    I´m trying to give to the Dan Dean Trumpet NV some fake vibrato (thru mod wheels) and pitch bending without any sucess. The programing of those patches are so complex to me!!
    Regards
    Jose Pereira
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Why don\'t you just use Trumpet.......V.....?

Fake vibrato has a tendancy to sound, well...fake even if you do succeed.

Originally posted by Hasen:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by Jose Pereira:
    Hi Everybody!
    Regards
    Jose Pereira
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Why don\'t you just use Trumpet.......V.....?

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Hensen
    Because I need the ff and fff samples from Trumpet NV with vibrato. Its timbre is more suitable for my needs. Also, I need sometimes a heavier vibrato than in the Trp V.
    Is a shame that Mr Dean doesn´t sampled the Vibrato trumpet with the ff and fff sound...
    Thanks anyway
    Jose Pereira

Originally posted by Jose Pereira:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by Hasen:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by Jose Pereira:
    Hi Everybody!
    Regards
    Jose Pereira

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Hensen
    Because I need the ff and fff samples from Trumpet NV with vibrato. Its timbre is more suitable for my needs. Also, I need sometimes a heavier vibrato than in the Trp V.
    Is a shame that Mr Dean doesn´t sampled the Vibrato trumpet with the ff and fff sound...
    Thanks anyway
    Jose Pereira
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Ups! Sorry for change your name Hasen!

I still maintain that the very best user-controllable, keyboard-based vibrato comes from using the small ribbon controller on the Kurzweil 2500/2600 with a midi mapper to convert the control to pitch bend.

The other really good option is a Roland AX-1. They use a ribbon controller for pitch bend. Hold it like a cello and creating vibrato is very natural and authentic. (I can\'t do EITHER at the moment, as I haven\'t found a reasonable price for the mapper, and I am waiting for Roland to release their AX-7, an upgrade to the AX-1 that\'s $100 LESS. But I use the ribbon on the 2500 with excellent results-on sounds I do not like [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] )
    Dasher

Or using the Roland Guitar Synth to control vibrato. It works pretty nice. Too bad it has tracking problems [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Anyhow, about programming DDSB

For pitch bend, open the gig in the GS Editor

After it opens in the editor:
    In the upper left hand side there should be an instrument list. Select the NV trumpet instrument you want to add PItch bend to. Right click on it. Select Properties. Insert the pitch bend range in semitones. Click Apply. And all should be well (unless you need to reload the instrument, in which case you should do so, and may be asked to save.)

For Mod Wheel vibrato (yeeeeeech, try using the pitch bend it might be better):

Again select the instrument you want to edit in the instrument (upper left hand in the editor)

In the lower right hand, click the EG/LFO3 tab.

select \"Ext Mod Wheel\" in the pull down menu next to the letters \"crtl\"

Adjsut how deep you want the vibrato to be at maximum value (mod wheel all the way up), by setting a value in percentage in the control depth box.

Adjsut the speed of the vibrato in hertz in the Frequency box. It is a fixed value and cannot be controlled in real time. anywhere from 4.5 to 6 should be right for ya. Try different values until you find one you can settle with.

A few side notes. Instruments that already to use the modwheel to control something else may prove to be problematic for this type of control.

you may want to add filter LFO or Attenuation LFO control to the mod wheel as well, for a more ahem....natural....sound.

and finally

Simple LFO\'s to control pitch/volume to simulate vibrato never sound real IMO.

orginally posted by Jose Pereira:

Ups! Sorry for change your name Hasen!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

No problem. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If I had a dollar every time someone spelt my name wrong...
    Sorry I couldn\'t help with the problem but I understand why you need to do it. Sometimes you just have to have that effect whether it sounds a 100% real or not.

King, while on the subject of creating artifiicial articulations, what about trills on strings? I have PS String ensembles and the trills are very powerful (useful in some situations) but I want a subtle trill that starts vibrating slowly and then builds in intensity. For a soft(ish) passage.

Is that possible?

Thanks.

hmmm

you mena in dynamics/volume?

Well if there are multiple samples for different velocities you could create a crossfade between them as layers.

If not, You could try adding a low pass filter and assigning the same controller to attenuation. Then assign both a threshold to the cutoff and max attenuation.

dunno if it would sound too real tho.

Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    hmmm

you mena in dynamics/volume?

Well if there are multiple samples for different velocities you could create a crossfade between them as layers.

If not, You could try adding a low pass filter and assigning the same controller to attenuation. Then assign both a threshold to the cutoff and max attenuation.

dunno if it would sound too real tho.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No I\'m referring to the intensity of the trill itself. It begins as a slow vibration and then is more vigorous and emotional. The volume doesn\'t need to change.

It might be possible with melodyne using the timestretch to change the speed of different parts of the sample. I don\'t know whether there is another way really.

Go Back to forum