• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: SNEAK PREVIEW

Share/Bookmark

SNEAK PREVIEW

We just uploaded an MP3 example recorded with a new piano sample that will be perfect for solo piano perfomances. It will take us months before this will be avialable but I felt so excited we wanted to join this. You hear the CLEAN sample (there is no eq, reverb or whatever).
    The sample is true 24 bit and has 16 levels of velocity.
    We will wait for the GST 3 version to implement new features.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mpost/demos/Prototypes/liebestod%20PROTOTYPE%202.mp3

Michiel Post

Post Musical Instruments

www.postmusicalinstruments.com

Re: SNEAK PREVIEW

Michiel,
    sounds fantastic.

When you say 16 levels of velocity, do you mean you recorded 16 separate dynamic levels? Or, are some of the velocity layers created through filtering?

Also, what resolution audio will GST3 handle? I assume, based on your post, that it will handle 24-bit files. But what are the specs, including sample rate? Also, any other new features?

How many gigabites will this new piano be?

Thanks and regards,
    arch

Hi Arch,
    We recorded 16 discrete layers. No filters no tricks. When we bring these samples together there will be library that can be handled by most users, I have not a clue what size and how many Gigs or what specs. I\'ll try to keep it compact.
    The resolution of the recorded samples is 24 bit. I can\'t say if GST will support that as it isn\'t out yet. But when it is released AND when it supports 24 bit we have the samples in 24 bit format. Simple as that. We\'ll just wait and see which new features we can use and which we can\'t.
    Michiel Post

Michiel,
    This sounds fantastic...

One note about the quality of the MP3; 128k is really squashing the life out of what is most probably a great new instrument.

As someone who has just spent ages experimenting with MP3 encoding, may I suggest that you use the LAME encoder in conjunction with a front-end program called RAZORLAME and encode only at 256k (Constant Bit Rate)?

For more information, you may wish to have a look at:

http://www.r3mix.net/

Just a thought ...

PS Is the new piano an Imperial Grand?

Verrry natural sound Michiel. It\'s nice to know you didn\'t need to fake dynamics with filters to get a good sound.

Let\'s hope V3 has more voices, bits, velocity layers, dimensions etc. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Michiel,

Pardon me while I wipe the drool off of the computer keyboard. WOW! No reverb added? No EQ? Did I mention - WOW!

Finally, a piano that is not recorded (IMHO) too closely. The natural ambience is wonderful! This does not sound like a sampled piano, it sounds like a recording of someone playing a real piano.

I can\'t wait!

You just keep getting better and better man!

Rock on!

Lawrence

I just want to know WHO in the world has the patience to get 16 different levels per note on a piano... whew... makes me tired just thinking about it... can\'t wait to hear it though [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Will this one only be $45 too? !!!!

Michael,
    Thanks for the preview. The overall tonality of the piano is quite good.

I also sent you a private message. Please check your inbox.

With best regards,
    Mark

OK we replaced the MP3 with a 256k (Constant Bit Rate) version. See the link below. Remeber we are talking about a very rough first prototype that just uses the first 4 layers and has absolutely no tweaks or adjustements whatsoever.

I\'m saying that because at this point I would like to express my thanks to TASCAM/Nemesys who have provided me with tools to create such a result just two days after the actual recording of the samples took place!
    I recorded the piano last week, straight into a DAW. The main WAV recordings are 96/24. After rough cuts there was around 10 GB in 48/24 material. I edited it in the seperate velocity layers (2 hours). Then used Jim van Buskirks incerdible Seperate Wave utility (an inhouse tool that chops up such 1 hour recordings in clean cut ready to import samples) to make over 1.000 samples. That took 1 day. Building this prototype took another day.
    This is a huge time saver; doing GRANDIOSO samples was 1 1/2 month of non-stop cutting and editing in ProTools (using ProTools Beat Detective) and other programs to get the samples in the same status.
    I\'ll keep the work on these samples quiet now, just hope you all enjoy this new demo and we\'ll start talking again when we have a possible release in sight!

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mpost/demos/Prototypes/liebestod%20PROTOTYPE%202.mp3

Michiel Post
    President
    Post Musical Instruments

Michiel,
    At last a \"breathing\" piano !
    I already am (very) happy with Grandioso and this one will complete it perfectly.
    I can\'t wait to try it, bravo !

Christian

Go Back to forum