• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Pads and Ambiences

Share/Bookmark

Pads and Ambiences

I need either a good sample CD or keyboard or something for some of those nice ambient textures like from \"Traffic\" or Thomas Newmanish type stuff. I have DR 2 but Id really like to get more into tweaking these sounds. Im also REALLY looking for a nice ambient guitar patch that has that long sustained airy string like pad sound used in \"Monsters Ball\". Any one know of a library with that type of sound besides Bizarre Guitars bowed guitar, which I also have.
    Any stuff that has those David Torn type textures would be great.
    Are software synths the way to go? If so, how would I use it via Giga and Cakewalk with my Delta 1010?

Thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Pads and Ambiences

I don\'t know which type of plug-ins can be run in cakewalk... If it\'s vst compatible, then there are plenty of interesting synths you can use.

Here, I have the chance to work on a Creamware platform, where there are PLENTY OF AMAZING SYNTHS!!! And all kinds of devices, many of which are free, -since CW permits the people to become developers. We have the modular2 synth, which is an emulation of real hardware modular synth -and a good one! Just this thing is a very powerful synthesis tool, since we can customize basically any synth we can think of with it...

There\'s a nice CW forum here: http://www.planetz.com/forums/

REAKTOR!!!!

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Isnt the Absynth from native instruments the pad/texture soft synth no 1? Havent tryed it much but of what i can remember it could produce alot of ambient sounds.

/Tobias

Hang out for Eric Persing\'s VSTi called \'Atmosphere\'. He\'s one of the best synth programmers around, and this thing comes with about 3gb of samples. It\'ll work in Sonar with a VST wrapper, and it\'s the same cost as a midpriced sample library.

http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/atmosphere.html

With DirectXizer you can use any VST app in a DirectX compatible sequencer...
    Haven\'t tested it myself, but i hear its quite good..

Cool guys, thanks for the responses. How does one use a soft synth with a sequencer and Giga? Is it possible to do on 1 computer or will I experience problems? (667 Mhz P3, 512 megs ram, 2 drives-8 gig for apps and 60 gig for gigs and wavs) and Im using a Delta 1010 soundcard along with a Mackie 1202 vlz mixer. How do I route things in the computer? Assign a port to a soft synth and the others to Giga?

Thanks!

For a maximum stability I suggest using the vsti in stand alone mode, which is possible with NI synths. I get much better results than through my vst host (logic), but this might not be viable for all systems... Anyway, try both and see for yourself.

Yes, absynth is really an amazing program...

I developed the ambient sampling CD called Drone Archeology. If you like the tones heard in the film Traffic then give this material a listen. There are mp3 demos and a couple of Giga patches with shorter loops than on the actual CD (10 sec as oppose to 30-60) at the Numerical Sound web site.

Jim Aikin in a Keyboard review (Mar 1999) of Drone Archeology happen to mention David Torn\'s Tonal Texutes CD and compared it to Drone Archeology. What follows is a brief excerpt from the review

\"In a market crowded with me-too jungle and hip-hop CDs, sound developer Ernest
    Cholakis has come up with something as original as it is useful: a whole CD of
    electronic drone tones. Drones? Sounds like a yawner. But this CD has an
    incredible amount of variety considering how little is going on. Ambient artists
    will be in hog heaven, and the drones should work well for those ominous breaks
    in industrial rock, too —or even in acid and drum ’n’ bass. The sounds are less
    developed than those in David Torn’s groundbreaking Tonal Textures CD, but that
    should make them more versatile.\"

Ernest Cholakis
    Numerical Sound
    www.numericalsound.com

I developed the ambient sampling CD called Drone Archeology. If you like the tones heard in the film Traffic then give this material a listen. There are mp3 demos and a couple of Giga patches with shorter loops than on the actual CD (10 sec as oppose to 30-60) at the Numerical Sound web site.

Jim Aikin in a Keyboard review (Mar 1999) of Drone Archeology happen to mention David Torn\'s Tonal Texutes CD and compared it to Drone Archeology. What follows is a brief excerpt from the review

\"In a market crowded with me-too jungle and hip-hop CDs, sound developer Ernest
    Cholakis has come up with something as original as it is useful: a whole CD of
    electronic drone tones. Drones? Sounds like a yawner. But this CD has an
    incredible amount of variety considering how little is going on. Ambient artists
    will be in hog heaven, and the drones should work well for those ominous breaks
    in industrial rock, too —or even in acid and drum ’n’ bass. The sounds are less
    developed than those in David Torn’s groundbreaking Tonal Textures CD, but that
    should make them more versatile.\"

Ernest Cholakis
    Numerical Sound
    www.numericalsound.com

Go Back to forum