• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Rubato: how do YOU sequence it?

Share/Bookmark

Rubato: how do YOU sequence it?

Hey all,

My current project (done mostly for my own amusement) requires quite a bit simulated ensemble rubato. In my real job, I just conduct faster of slower to push and pull time.

Sequencing, however, presents a choice: do you simply play with rubato while tracking, thereby limiting the usefulness of the time grid (for quantizing, reference, etc.), or do you play straight and then draw tempo changes (pretty easy with modern sequencers)?

What\'s your method?

--Eric

Re: Rubato: how do YOU sequence it?

I usually draw in my tempo changes so I can fine tune them. Rubato pieces take me a few hours to work on tempo changes.

It\'s difficult -but possible- to make changes without the timegrid (correct and add tracks), so I guess it depends on the amount of correction you plan to have after your track is done, and the number of additional tracks you want to set up after...

Haydn- do you arrive to feel the naturalness of the tempo changes even with your prepared click track?

With programs like Overture and Cakewalk it\'s quite easy to draw tempo changes in the tempo graphical window.

But I do remember the first sequencer I had -Steinberg Pro24 - allowed you to play back and at the same time record tempo (and or volume changes) from a controller on a midi keyboard - you could in effect conduct (tempo) in real-time as well as record it.

I know some of the other programs allow you to vary the tempo from a keyboard controller but as far as I know, won\'t record it at the same time. Maybe cubase can do this. Does anyone know?

Cheers

I usually never record with the metromone. I always use the metronome in my head, so it\'s easy for me to create rubato in that sense.

Same here. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Anyone knows if it\'s possible to adjust the tempo grid once the sequence is made? That would be helpful!

In DP you can tap the tempo with the mouse or a key of your controller to create a tempo map. You could tap out the tempo of the sequence as the first thing you do (almost as if you were conducting without hearing anything), and then sequence away the music utilizing the tempo map you created. You can also do the opposite, sequencing everything in time and then tapping out the rubatos and ritards...but it\'s tricky \'cause the music is always steering you the other way.

Ultimately, what works best for me is to play with the values of the tempos until it feels just right. I really don\'t do a whole lot of stuff like that in my music, but if I\'m recording something orchestral I usually put random tempo variations throught the sequence.

Pantonality, can you briefly explain how to proceed to tap the tempo after a track is done on logig? I\'d appreciate that.

Thanks

Eliam,

I usually put in a rough tempo track before starting to record parts. This is basically just the main tempo and some ritards. I always record all my parts before fine tuning the tempo track. This usually takes a couple days as I like to listen on different days to see if I still like the feel.

Go Back to forum