• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hi, new guy here - and guess what?

Share/Bookmark

Hi, new guy here - and guess what?

Another gratuitous demo! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Been hiding in the shadows for about a month now and I though I’d come out and introduce myself.

Hi.

I’ve done some documentary TV and Inde work and been composing for some time now. I’m also a music editor on a network show.

I’m not schooled in any way and am completely self taught. I have an EMU sampler with 128MB ram and have been struggling with the stock samples for a very long time. I came across AOS and saw it was only $385.00. I had to get it (yes, I know...).

Anyway, this is the first piece I’ve put together with AOS as sort of a test run. I’d love to get some serious critique from some of you talented folks out there.

http://www.soundleap.com/music/Andvari%27s_Odyssey.mp3

There are a few more new pieces as well on my site (which is still under construction) if you care to check out some more samples. Thanks for listening.

Daniel Krausz
    www.soundleap.com

Re: Hi, new guy here - and guess what?

Hi Daniel,

Very nice composition and arranging.

Hi Daniel,

I really liked this one. Very filigree, but dramatic at the same time.

Bests,
    - Mathis

What is AOS, b.t.w.?

Thank you Joanne & Mathis for the kind words. AOS is, (dare I say it) - Advanced Orchestra Set - the Library.

dk

Just thought I\'d bump this up. Maybe a few more folks would like to comment on any aspect?
    The recording, the mix, the weather, tell me to get lost, whatever. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

dk

I think this sounds pretty fantastic for Advanced Orchestra. Great to have you here.

Thanks for listening. I really like this forum! I very much wish I could afford a “real” library as I think AOS is very good, I don’t think it holds up against what is out today (listening to most all the demos on this board has opened my eyes up quite a bit).

AOS works “ok” for my needs right now but I am definitely going to get something better in the future. Although I seem to be able to get the right “feel” of parts and sections, I think I’m really having to work too hard playing with individual velocities, volume automation and actual re-loops and edits of the actual AOS samples themselves. Very very time consuming. I remember one specific little 5 bar section of that piece took me 3 hours to get to sound “only almost” real. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I got AOS because I really didn’t want to have to deal with soft sampler headaches. As sad as it seems, AOS was a huge step up for me. Right now, with 128MB ram in my Emu, I can load up quite a few parts at once. From what I’ve read, soft samplers (of course being limited by how much physical ram you have) still have trouble loading up many parts at once because the library samples that are used today are just so huge (please some one correct me if I’m wrong about that).

Anyway, this place is very educational and very inspiring (great sales tool as well IMA). Trying to contribute to the discussions is hard for me because I’m still in the dark ages. But I’ll do my best! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

dk

From what I’ve read, soft samplers (of course being limited by how much physical ram you have) still have trouble loading up many parts at once because the library samples that are used today are just so huge (please some one correct me if I’m wrong about that).

Actually, many soft samplers support streaming from disk, meaning that you aren\'t limited by how much RAM your computer has.

However, one potential weakness with software samplers is that often they aren\'t as stable as hardware samplers (although there has been some recent improvement in this area).

Even having said that, I\'ve recently switched over to an all-software setup, and never want to go back to HW again!

How is latency generally dealt with? Offset? User definable? Is it manageable? I have a small format console specifically just to avoid latency altogether. I found it very difficult to play correctly with even a very small amount.

dk

Go Back to forum