• Register
  • Help

Topic: How do Giga libraries fare if used with Unity

Share/Bookmark

How do Giga libraries fare if used with Unity

Someone who is most truly happy when working on a Mac has tried the PC and Giga. He is pleased with the sample libaries but misses the Mac. He is considering Unity.

Has anyone on this forum tried porting Giga libraries into Unity? If so, is this a workable proposition or is it so much hassle that no one would really want to embark on something like this?

Also, apart from the fact that one is for Macs and the other is for PCs, what are the relative merits of Giga versus Unity? I\'ve only found a couple of people who have actually used both, so it would be helpful to get more thoughts on this.

Thanks!

~Peter

Re: How do Giga libraries fare if used with Unity

Originally posted by Peter Schouten:
    Someone who is most truly happy when working on a Mac has tried the PC and Giga. He is pleased with the sample libaries but misses the Mac. He is considering Unity.

Has anyone on this forum tried porting Giga libraries into Unity? If so, is this a workable proposition or is it so much hassle that no one would really want to embark on something like this?

Also, apart from the fact that one is for Macs and the other is for PCs, what are the relative merits of Giga versus Unity? I\'ve only found a couple of people who have actually used both, so it would be helpful to get more thoughts on this.

Thanks!

~Peter
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">er..... I would think twice about getting into the Unity thing. I guess it all depends on what are your goals with Giga samples.
    If you are thinking about orchestral scores, high end samples librairies ( garritan, Dan Dean etc...) FORGET IT ! RUN AWAY FROM UNITY !
    I am actually coming from Unity session myself ( like you I love my Mac) and I have spend many frustrating hours to get my giga samples to work. Long story short: I bought a PC.
    [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    That is how bad it was.

On the other hand if you just want to use a couple giga samples (perc, dms, gt maybe) but you don\'t plan on using those monster multi layered multi articulated etc... then you could give Unity a try, since it is not a bad program in itself. Beware that the installation and optimization of Unity is not all friendly. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

The best thing about Unity is its editing and routing capabilities that go far beyond any other soft sampler i know. But to be honest with you I don\'t know of any musicians that likes to spend the time to figure out sound programming up to that point.
    I guess it comes down to what you are ready to do and want to accomplish.
    In my opinion Gigastudio is much more geared towards composers who want to get the job done efficiently, while still wanting to have some control over their samples to some extent.

My instinctive advice to you is that if you are planning to use giga sampler for the bulk of your sample needs, you gotta run it on what it is designed for, a PC. Maybe sad, but I have paid the price ($650 MSRP for Unity Session) for disregarding this basic commonsense.

Let us know if that helps...
    *Peace

And keep in mind that a maximal Gigastudio device is a dedicated computer. Think of it as a hardware sampler with a Windows-like front end. Buy Giga and a PC, get it running (or buy a ready to go box from Carillon or Soundchaser, et. al) and then set it up so you turn it on, it boots and loads Giga, and that\'s all it ever does!

DON\'T surf the Net, write your mother, play games, sequence music. Do that on your Mac. Just run Giga. All you need to do is load GSP files (and create new ones.) The Windows interface is sufficiently Mac-ish that should not be an onerous task (and you DON\'T want to run Giga and a sequencer on the same box, anyway! You CAN, but it\'s better to keep \'em separate.)

Buy an eMu sampler. Use it for a few weeks. Open Giga, use it for a few weeks. You\'ll never touch your eMu again... Windoze just isn\'t 1/10 as bad!

Dasher

Although I agree with most of the opinions expressed here, I have to stick up a bit for Unity. I use it all the time, it\'s solid and very powerful. I have converted Giga stuff with no major problems, but just like with any conversions, some tweaking is necessary.

Unity is also a bit ahead of its time with the hardware. It strives to do many great things, but it\'s limited by the processors, ram speed and busses. I think towards the end of the year, the goal of running everything under the same Mac will become possible. If Apple brings DDR Ram, faster bussing and 1.5gig Dual Processors then Unity with your favourite sequencer (streaming Giga libraries from disk) is a definite reccomendation!

As a slightly related topic, it really blows me away how many sample users are not really not very familiar with tweaking and programming the sounds but would rather use things that are straight out of the box. I agree with that sentiment, but I always have found that tweaking stuff to my own liking gives me a somehow \"customized\" sounding palette (and it\'s not nearly as time consuming as you think it is)!

Go Back to forum