• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The ultimate orchestral percussion

Share/Bookmark

The ultimate orchestral percussion

Dear gang,

I am trying to build my \"perfect\" orchestral library for GS.
    I already have the Garritan strings, the DD woodwinds plus a few DD brass. This all sounds pretty good but I am still missing the percussions, and possibly harp.
    Anyone with a strong feeling about what is the:

•ultimate orchestral percussion library (not including vibes/marimba)
    •the best deal for the money
    •Vibes, marimba and other pitched percussions.

Is there one in particular that would cover all the bases or should I consider getting one for the \"toys\", one for the timpanies etc...

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Re: The ultimate orchestral percussion

Get London Orchestral Percussion, it\'s awesome. www.bigfishaudio.com

There\'s not much out there that competes well with LOP. Maybe Hans Aadamson\'s \'Cool Vibes\' is worth a look. The guys who made LOP also made an Ultimate Tympany Library which may have a few things not in LOP, but for a single library set - LOP covers a lot of bases extremely professionally.

Definitely get the London Orchestra Percussion library. Well worth the money!

er....
    You guys all work for DS soundware or what ? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Yeah, I thought so too !
    Just kiddin\'
    I also gave this library some serious consideration but I was wondering if in a multi instrument library like this one all the instruments are decently covered.... probably huh ?
    And also I read that they were recorded with the room ambiance, which should be nice for solo pieces, but what about if I want to blend it with my other samples which could be completely dry or include a different hall altogether. Isn\'t better to have the sample totally dry and then add the room on your finished mix ?

*New kid on the block.
    Thanks.

LOP has set the standard for percussion- nothing comes close (I should work for them - it would be easy to sell)

Originally posted by Tomas:
    er....
    You guys all work for DS soundware or what ? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Yeah, I thought so too !
    Just kiddin\'
    I also gave this library some serious consideration but I was wondering if in a multi instrument library like this one all the instruments are decently covered.... probably huh ?
    And also I read that they were recorded with the room ambiance, which should be nice for solo pieces, but what about if I want to blend it with my other samples which could be completely dry or include a different hall altogether. Isn\'t better to have the sample totally dry and then add the room on your finished mix ?

*New kid on the block.
    Thanks.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">All the samples in LOP let you regulate how much \"room\" is in the sample with the mod wheel. With the mod wheel all the way down (standard) all the room is in there. As you move the mod wheel up it gradually takes off the release (where the percieved reverb is anyway) and the sample becomes drier and drier until at the top where there is no \"room\" at all.

However, having said this most people find that the samples \"sit\" in any mix well reguardless of what kind of reverb you put on the rest of the mix. Remeber, there\'s no substiute for the real thing!

dc

You know what you should do Tomas? You should get LOP. I\'m sorry has that been said already? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

\"I am still missing the percussions, and possibly harp.\"

Hi, Tomas!

For harp samples I would recommend XSample Vol. 8 from Best Service. It sounds quite amazing, and there\'s key switching between sustained, short and harmonic notes. The CD also includes Psalter, Celesta and Klavicymbel.

Good value for the money!

The ds soundware percussion is the best. I have their first offering of ultimate orchestral percussion and the ultimate timpani and as a timpanist and side drummer, I can say that it all rocks. I don\'t use anything else. So LOS should work great for you. For harps, the XS harp is indeed nice and of course it\'s hard to beat the Garritan harp. The Garritan harp has programmable MIDI virtual harp pedals that allow you to do accurate glissandos up and down the white keys. It will hog the polyphony so you may find yourself capturing your glissed to waves and triggering those and it is close miked so you need to move it back into the mix, pan it and add reverb. It works real nice though. The Xsample harp is not as flexible but it does have a real sweet sound.
    Have fun
    Dave

Go Back to forum