• Register
  • Help

Topic: A White Paper on Apple's Emagic Purchase

Share/Bookmark

Re: A White Paper on Apple\'s Emagic Purchase

Nice job Peter.

As a Logic Audio Gold (4.81) Windows user I\'ve had a week to do a lot of investigating and thinking. There\'s been a lot of discussion on various internet fora, much of which has been helpful. I realize this is not a Logic forum, but there are Logic users here and everyone of them has at least one Windows system (to run Giga).

You\'ve given some great advice I would simply add a cautionary note. Many of the crossgrades being offered, Logic to CuBase or Cakewalk, Logic PC to Mac are time limited. Don\'t wait too long.

So here\'s some bits of information (and some speculation) that may offer some further insight.

* It\'s been suggested that Apple has an agreement with Microsoft that precludes them offering anything that uses MS technology. Since Logic Windows has a significant DirectX component that means Logic Windows must go. No one at Apple, EMagic or Microsoft has confirmed or denied this.
    * Logic for Mac doesn\'t support VST so all the investment in VST instruments and plugins will be lost unless developers offer a crossgrade as well as developing products for the upcoming audio unit protocol (OS X). This will make any migration from PC to Mac much more difficult, troublesome and expensive.
    * CuBase doesn\'t support DirectX, Cakewalk doesn\'t support VST, so there\'s nowhere to go that offers the functionality of Logic Windows.
    * Someone from Steinberg one a CuBase list suggested that they may write a Logic song import tool. That would help immensely and if they\'d include DirectX I\'d jump in a heartbeat.

The situation is complex and there is no obvious answer. Frankly, I\'m seriously considering the upgrade to Logic Gold 5.X (eventually at least 5.2) and various EMagic employees have stated there will be bug fixes well beyond September 30th, but no new features beyond then. I may opt for both Logoc and CuBase, but that puts additional strain on my limited budget that I\'d much rather use for Giga libraries. Hopefully there will be additional communication from EMagic that will help clarify the issues in the coming weeks.

Right now all I can say is THIS SUCK$!

Cheers,

Steve Chandler
    http://www.mp3.com/stevechandler
    aka Ettienne
    http://www.mp3.com/ettienne

First class paper Peter. It is greatly appreciated.

> Cakewalk doesn\'t support VST

Support is easily added with a VST ‘wrapper’ program, which are inexpensive and work well.

Originally posted by pantonality:
    [QB]Nice job Peter.

* Logic for Mac doesn\'t support VST so all the investment in VST instruments and plugins will be lost unless developers offer a crossgrade as well as developing products for the upcoming audio unit protocol (OS X). This will make any migration from PC to Mac much more difficult, troublesome and expensive.
    QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">huh?

Logic for mac indeed supports VST..the only thing missing at the moment is multiple outputs for VST instruments, which apparently will be rectified in 5.2, due in august.
    Personally, I think the OSX version of Logic won\'t be useful for at least another 6 months, since all the audiohardware needs to be compatible with OSX too.
    There are quite a few people using Logic in combination with Digidesign hardware (esp. TDM), and drivers for these need to be ported to OSX before they\'ll even think about changing.
    Agreed, the future of OSX looks bright when it comes to audio (I\'ve heard good things about audio units, and the native support of various audiointerfaces, mlan and low latency 24/96 support looks promising, but it will be a while before it\'s really useable.

Cheers,

Joe

Interesting read, Peter, but the thing that was missing was people like me who laid down a chunk of change for Emagic hardware as well, which will apparently not be supported in future Windows versions. I don\'t use Logic, but I do have a Unitor MKII midi interface I plunked down $550 for, and I am beyond furious. Same goes for thsoe who purchased the Logic Control or one of the other Emagic midi interfaces.
    Is there any chance someone will release the code (or take some similar action) for the hardware drivers so someone could develop compatible drivers for future Windows versions? This really has me steamed. The true irony is that I bought the Unitor because MOTU\'s PC driver support was notoriously poor...guess poor is better than absolutely none, huh?

Regards,
    Scott

I really don\'t know why all you guys are so upset! You have a very solid version of the software which will proably receive a couple of maintenance upgrades in the next 6 months. The hardware works fine too. A year and a half or so from now when Logic on PC will start to show its age you\'ll probably want to buy something else anyway! Enjoy what you got instead of getting so worked up about issues which will not affect you for many months to come!

Besides, if you really feel like your hardware investment was poorly made, go on e-bay and sell it, you\'ll probably get more than what you paid for it (people on e-bay are so stupid)!

We (Mac users) have had to endure app after app going to PC only for so many years. Plus tons of stuff that\'s not even available for Mac (like GS and Acid).

Ultimately, it comes down to what allows you to make music. If you find Logic to be your favourite environment then start saving up to buy a G5 next year (you were probably going to buy a new computer anyway)!!! I promise that after a small period of getting used to the new interface you won\'t regret it.

If on the other hand you are so thick headed that you\'d rather lose your sequencer of choice for the sake of using a holy PC then you get what you deserve!

Hi All,

My bad, I was having a bad brain day. I\'ve found Soundstage a very useful reverb. Unfortunately it\'s a DirectX plugin. The Mac version of Logic doesn\'t do DirectX.

My big issue with Cakewalk isn\'t VST, but rather that I don\'t see anything on the web site that mentions score capabilities. This leads me to believe it doesn\'t have any. That\'s a deal breaker for me.

FWIW, I\'ve just been informed by a Steinberg person that CuBase does indeed support DirectX plugins. Guess that means I should get out the plastic.

As for buying a Mac, I\'ll consider it at some point. I don\'t want to start a platform war so I won\'t comment at all about the relative merits of either. I\'ve owned both Macs and PCs and have compared the performance and made my choice.

Steve

A White Paper on Apple\'s Emagic Purchase

Alexander University has posted a White Paper on Apple\'s Emagic purchase. The link is:

http://alexanderpublishing.com/emagic/

Go Back to forum