• Register
  • Help

Topic: Low pass filter causes chopped off note?

Share/Bookmark

Low pass filter causes chopped off note?

When I put a low pass filter on samples from the Akai Splendid Grand, the note chops off. (The release time it set correctly.)

Can anyone think of a reason this would occur?

Thanks

Re: Low pass filter causes chopped off note?

Three possibilities:

You\'re setting the EG1 release time, but not EG2 release time (the filter envelope\'s release).

You\'re setting the correct EG1 and EG2 release times, but aren\'t hitting the \'apply\' button, so you don\'t hear the change.

The filter is not set to \'low pass\'. Depending on the envelope and cutoff frequency settings, if you use, say, a high pass filter, the filter will appear to shut off as the envelope dies away.

To check if the filter is involved at all, try setting the filter type choice to \'none\' and hit apply. Does the sound still cut off abruptly? If so, the problem isn\'t in the filter settings.

Thanks. I hadn\'t set the release for the filter.

With help from Chadwick, I resolved this problem, but now I wonder why the release time for the filter would affect the release time for the amplitude.

Shouldn\'t the note continue to sound, without the filter, if I don\'t define the filter release time?

Hello Jake,

The reason is that the amplitude & filter envelopes are in series. If one or the other closes, then there is your cut-off note. You were correct to increase the release time of the filter envelope to equal or more than the release time of the amplitude envelope.

Thanks to Rick Chadwick for the detailed troubleshooting procedure.

Kevin

You\'re right Jake, if your filter is set up so that the envelope doesn\'t move the cutoff frequency, the filter envelope release setting will have no affect. None of the filter envelope\'s parameters will do anything.

The thing about Giga is that it has no simple amount knob with which to control the amount of envelope sent to the cutoff frequency. Most of the envelope control over the filter is strangely sourced from keyboard velocity. In order to have a setting which has absolutely no movement of the cutoff frequency you have to select specific velocity response parameters for the filter. I think they\'re a Non linear response curve coupled with Low dynamic range. With those settings, the envelope doesn\'t move the cutoff frequency, and the release won\'t have any affect.

If you don\'t need the actual filter, a simpler thing to do is just select \'none\' in the filter type box. This takes the filter and filter envelope out of the picture altogether.

Go Back to forum