• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Dvorak: Serenade for Strings, E-major, op.22, 1st movement

Share/Bookmark

Dvorak: Serenade for Strings, E-major, op.22, 1st movement

Dear friends,

The Serenade op.22 by Dvorak has always been one of my favorite compositions. I have now started recording it with my usual method.

http://virtualphilharmonic.bandcamp....jor-op-22-1875

Still needs some more work, but I want to continue with the remaining movements of this Serenade before revisiting this one. There is also some headroom - could be 6dB louder.

Re: Dvorak: Serenade for Strings, E-major, op.22, 1st movement

I love it. ( Wish I would know why or for whom did he wrote this, full of love for sure.)
    Your interpretation gives me more understanding this piece, I hear things I did not hear before, probably because you lift up different things than conventional.
    So, thank you, and I will save this to be replayed several times.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    I love it. ( Wish I would know why or for whom did he wrote this, full of love for sure.)
    Your interpretation gives me more understanding this piece, I hear things I did not hear before, probably because you lift up different things than conventional.
    So, thank you, and I will save this to be replayed several times.

Ted
    Thank you very much, Ted; this is a great compliment!
    I have the same experience: when going through the score, I often realize that there is more than what I heard before in other recordings, and I am trying to bring this out.

Due to some "household" things, I have little time to listen. I only did the first few bars and these were excellent. Later, when all cans of white paint, wooden repairs, etc... have left my house... I will listen to this again. So forgive me not replying the way it should........ Even Beethoven had to re-decorate his house once in a while..... (haha)

Raymond

Thank you, Raymond!

No worries - work must be done first! Best wishes for good success in your house renovation venture!

Cheers,
    Reinhold

A very nice lush and passionate piece. Thanks for sharing. I love string music!

Regards,

Richard

Not very often have I reacted twice for the same posting. But, this time I had to.
    I listened again and again (7 times so far) to your work and more and more I am impressed by your talent to use GPO.
    Truly, this talent of yours shines in this lovely music. Only a few places it shows short-coming of this library, towards the end, the solo cello sounds out of the incredible goodness of your orchestra.
    Maybe because on my Father side of the family I am Moravian as Dvorak was, I can not listen to his music without getting tears. While he often relied on folk-music, he is truly an international giant. My second most loved is his cello concerto....
    Thanks again Reinhold for this lovely work

Ted

Dear Reinhold,

Such superb music deserves an equally superb handling with samples. And that's exactly what you've done. Even if it's not quite up to your standards yet, both the interpretation and musical levels are very high. Very few people will be able to achieve such a result, knowing that the GPO strings are rather difficult to work with, but your efforts prove again, that even the best can be expected and obtained.

I couldn't see any weak point in your work. Only this: sometimes, the release time is a bit too short so that some notes seem to be cut off or stopped too hastily. But that's hardly noticeable. The Garritan company should pay you big money to make such good promotion for their libraries...

Thanks for sharing!

Max

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    A very nice lush and passionate piece. Thanks for sharing. I love string music!

Regards,

Richard

Thank you very much, Richard, for listening and for your comment!

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Not very often have I reacted twice for the same posting. But, this time I had to.
    I listened again and again (7 times so far) to your work and more and more I am impressed by your talent to use GPO.
    Truly, this talent of yours shines in this lovely music. Only a few places it shows short-coming of this library, towards the end, the solo cello sounds out of the incredible goodness of your orchestra.
    Maybe because on my Father side of the family I am Moravian as Dvorak was, I can not listen to his music without getting tears. While he often relied on folk-music, he is truly an international giant. My second most loved is his cello concerto....
    Thanks again Reinhold for this lovely work

Ted
    Dear Ted,

I am very glad that you like this piece so much! It is a truly lovely piece, and I know it since many years.

Dvorak's Cello concerto is another piece that I may address sometime, but there is of course the need for a good solo cello sample...

I hope you enjoy also the 2nd movement of this Serenade - it is online now.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast