• Register
  • Help

Topic: OK! Time for Composingatnight's Idiot Question of the month!

Share/Bookmark

OK! Time for Composingatnight's Idiot Question of the month!

So, I finally bought a DAW, Protools, and let me tell you, it is totally intimidating compared to Finale. I am entering a composers' contest on another forum to simply compose a melody that others can find the inspiration to harmonize it. I am one of those weird people, a pencil and staff paper live performing composer, and technology scares me even though I find it very exciting with the endless possibilities. For example, I have no issue whatsoever playing in real time on a midi keyboard using expression with the mod wheel, quickly jotting down a counter-melody on a piece of paper during rehearsal handing it to an alto sax player asking him to play this instead, and now apparently my wife says that she falls in love with me all over again every time I perform in public on trumpet. So, hitting a record button and recording live is no issue but now here comes the issue...

How in the world do you plug in Aria and the free Kontakt 5 player in Protools? I know you all know and now y'all are just laughing at me, but please help this country boy out. It's sad, it took just 2 days composing the 32 measured melody on staff paper, 5 minutes putting it in Finale, and if I just knew how to set up Protools I know I could just record it live in just a couple of takes and be done with it. Thanks guys!
    ~Rod

Re: OK! Time for Composingatnight's Idiot Question of the month!

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    ...How in the world do you plug in Aria and the free Kontakt 5 player in Protools?..
    Oh my - Pro Tools found another sucker--er, I mean customer!

Well, Pro Tools is off in a world of its own, with many things about it different than standard DAW software. It uses a totally different plugin format than the rest of the world - RTAS instead of VST. But, like any DAW program, the plugins should be located in one area, and the program has to be made aware of them via a scan.

Here's a page I looked up for you - For the rest, you'll need to dig into Pro Tool's manual about how to use soft synths.

Where is the Plug-Ins folder for Pro Tools?

Randy

Well poop, Randy, is protools really that bad, and will that link work with protools 11? And what in the world are rtas?

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    Well poop, Randy, is protools really that bad, and will that link work with protools 11? And what in the world are rtas?
    Pro Tools isn't "bad" - It's just that it isn't the DAW of choice for composers. Because of a very heavy and clever campaign started many years ago, PT became and reigns as The DAW for pro studios. The big draw now is that because every studio in Hollywood (and other music centers) has it, projects can be easily shuffled between studios. I'm sure it's fine as a program, but it doesn't have a Staff View, and many of its highly touted features only added over the last couple of years were standard in other more composer/musician oriented DAW programs like Sonar years ago.

RTAS is the proprietary format for its plugins. Everyone else uses VSTs, Pro Tools has its own format - RTAS. When you install ARIA and any Garritan Library, you have the choice to also install the RTAS plugin, so you're covered. You just need to understand where those plugins are installed, and how to have PT scan to see them, and then how to insert them in projects.

Buddy - crack open your manual! Look online - That page I found earlier was the result of a 2 second Google search - I'm sure that info is the same for the current PT, but do a deeper look for info specific to the version you have.

You'll be fine - But it's alien territory for me, and most people I know. Read the manual, look up their Forum.

Randy

I haven't posted in a while, I've been up to my neck in computer joys and woes (aargh!).

I too have just invested in a DAW (DP8). I've wanted it for years but it wasn't available on windows at the time. Anyway to get to the point, when trying to work out how to set up my Kontakt and its outputs I scoured through lots and lots of youtube video tutorials and found ones by this guy helpful. Even though this one is for Pro tools it was still of use to me. Maybe it'll help a bit.

http://youtu.be/J12IibKInP0

All the best.
    yjoh

Music... A Joy For Life.

Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

I concur with Randy on using PT for composition. I used to use it for audio recording but when I started using virtual instruments(GPO, etc.) and Finale for composition, I found it was not the best tool for that purpose. I understand that they have made improvements in this area in later versions but the RTAS thing is just not acceptable for me. I switched to Sonar about 7 years ago. It works fine for me.

In addition to composition, I do a lot of transcription of classical orchestral work for basically the same reason the SysExJohn does. My workflow for these purposes is to enter the music into Finale, carefully edit the expressions, etc. and export to MIDI. I then import into Sonar and refine the MIDI, note durations, CC values, particularly CC1, and dynamics. I apply the various effects(reverb, EQ, compression, etc.) needed and render down to audio. I sometimes find that Randy's technique of freezing/bouncing the virtual instruments to audio tracks for final mixing is needed, sometimes not.

Remember that the major investment in a DAW is your time in developing the expertise to use it effectively. The purchase price is minor compared to that. If you are a classically trained musician/composer, you may find that a DAW can be somewhat confusing. The conceptual approach to music production is somewhat different and you may need to expand you thinking to use the tools to the best effect. There are some excellent online training videos available. My favorite is Groove3.com Their subscription program of $15 per month is a great deal. You can turn it off and on as needed, only paying for months that you use it. Eli Kranzberg's various DAW tutorials are excellent and quite comprehensive.

Your choice of DAW is somewhat affected by whether you work on a PC or MAC. Sonar is PC only and Logic is Mac only. I've been intrigued by Digital Performer now that there is a PC version but haven't gotten around to trying it out yet. Sonar is fine for most of my work.

Here is an early proof of a video study score that I'm producing for a friend whose student is learning this piece:

It was done in Finale 2012 and Sonar using GPO and the Garritan Steinway.

Chris

I see where a professional composer included Protools with the software to be installed in his custom $6000+ master/slave DAW build using Vienna Ensemble Pro but he is probably either going to be recording live voice and or instruments with it or just needs it for file conversion. His main DAW host is Cubase 7. Carey Holzman, who is a pro repair person and PC builder has posted the build videos on YouTube. It looks like it this DAW would be good for several years which is probably the idea.

Go Back to forum